Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advances in Genetics: Designer Babies?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Rapid progress in genetics is making "designer babies" more likely and society needs to be prepared, leading scientists have told the BBC.

Dr Tony Perry, a pioneer in cloning, (University of Bath) has announced his research 'precise DNA editing at the moment of conception' The research has so far, been trialled on  mice.....

He said huge advances in the past two years meant "designer babies" were no longer HG Wells territory.

Other leading scientists and bioethicists argue it is time for a serious public debate on the issue.

Although this topic makes dramatic headlines, it has to be remembered that genetic engineering can be used for medical reasons and not just making designer babies who are 'beautiful and intelligent'

It could help to produce babies who are free of the genes which increase the risk of cancer or cystic fibrosis to give a few examples

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742774

Brilliant medical technology...without a doubt. Controversial?...of course it is...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
When we can populate other planets to deal with the mass overpopulation here and eradicate the hunger and starvation on Earth then we can think about genetics.
Although the simpler solution would be a 3rd world war. We'd see some mutations then....sorted!
I read something this morning about 1% having 50% of world wealth. So many problems here and now that need addressing first.
Message 21 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@jonsie ......but there needs to be a profit element for somebody.....how do you think the 1% got where they are today ?......and who suckered in the 50% ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 22 of 26

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 23 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
When we can populate other planets to deal with the mass overpopulation here and eradicate the hunger and starvation on Earth then we can think about genetics.
Although the simpler solution would be a 3rd world war. We'd see some mutations then....sorted!
I read something this morning about 1% having 50% of world wealth. So many problems here and now that need addressing first.

Still with my 'debating head' on........How do we think that funding earmarked for medical research in the UK would possibly help with all the world problems you mention @jonsie ?

One could argue that if we research genetics more and supply additional funding.....we may have some effect on over population........:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 26

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Sorry Den but it's nearly 3am and my head can't quite get round that....tomorrow ok? wink

Message 25 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Sorry Den but it's nearly 3am and my head can't quite get round that....tomorrow ok? wink

Thats quite OK Steve. Its been a long time since 3pm when I posted that. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 26