Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advances in Genetics: Designer Babies?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Rapid progress in genetics is making "designer babies" more likely and society needs to be prepared, leading scientists have told the BBC.

Dr Tony Perry, a pioneer in cloning, (University of Bath) has announced his research 'precise DNA editing at the moment of conception' The research has so far, been trialled on  mice.....

He said huge advances in the past two years meant "designer babies" were no longer HG Wells territory.

Other leading scientists and bioethicists argue it is time for a serious public debate on the issue.

Although this topic makes dramatic headlines, it has to be remembered that genetic engineering can be used for medical reasons and not just making designer babies who are 'beautiful and intelligent'

It could help to produce babies who are free of the genes which increase the risk of cancer or cystic fibrosis to give a few examples

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742774

Brilliant medical technology...without a doubt. Controversial?...of course it is...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742774

Unsurprisingly, I see no reference to "Nazi Ideology" or "Master Race" or "Mendelian genetics" although H G Wells does get a mention.

Well as that is the article in my opening post @Beenherebefore  I must admit to thinking some people would feel the same..:smileywink:

I only raise the debate. I am not sure, until I know what would be acceptable to those who approve the concept, how far I would like it to go...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

No doubt we'll soon see one of the Kardashians with a handbag baby to accompany their handbag dog Good Idea

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 12 of 26

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
"Although I understand where you are coming from with that comments @viridis what about this issue.??.

It has been said that testing embryos for disease during IVF would be the best way of preventing diseases being passed down through the generations.

However,some men are left infertile by damaging mutations of genes..so whilst they can still have children through IVF, any sons would still have the mutations and would in turn need IVF.

Genetic modification could fix that....??"

Yes, as it inhibits a "normal" life
If you can prevent a genetic anomaly being passed down to a new generation then you do it.
If you can change the hair colour, the hair growth pattern, eye colour, nose shape, skin tone....
You are doing the research for the wrong reasons.
Message 13 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

No doubt we'll soon see one of the Kardashians with a handbag baby to accompany their handbag dog Good Idea

Crazy I can't think of anything worse......I just hope (naively I suspect) that this does not result in a type of treatment only for the rich....

The Board of Medical Ethics hopefully would soon step in if pioneering MEDICAL treatment was being withheld for those in most need. (And by that, I mean people have a genetic condition which would result in it being passed on to any children)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

You are doing the research for the wrong reasons.

Actually I am not doing the research at all...... I leave that to others ...:smileywink:

I am just throwing debatable issues out there........purely to raise awareness (and to get reactions)  Fear Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 26

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I know that cleo lol
Message 16 of 26

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I believe plastic surgery was developed for those who needed reconstructive surgery......until somebody recognised there were other uses which would be more lucrative.

Message 17 of 26

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff ......and we're debating !!!

Message 18 of 26

viridis