Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advances in Genetics: Designer Babies?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Rapid progress in genetics is making "designer babies" more likely and society needs to be prepared, leading scientists have told the BBC.

Dr Tony Perry, a pioneer in cloning, (University of Bath) has announced his research 'precise DNA editing at the moment of conception' The research has so far, been trialled on  mice.....

He said huge advances in the past two years meant "designer babies" were no longer HG Wells territory.

Other leading scientists and bioethicists argue it is time for a serious public debate on the issue.

Although this topic makes dramatic headlines, it has to be remembered that genetic engineering can be used for medical reasons and not just making designer babies who are 'beautiful and intelligent'

It could help to produce babies who are free of the genes which increase the risk of cancer or cystic fibrosis to give a few examples

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742774

Brilliant medical technology...without a doubt. Controversial?...of course it is...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

MI5
  • 144329 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Has anyone thought how the World would cope with all these "designer babies" who are free from any generic defects when they all reach 500 years old......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I think this will be one of the major issues discussed by the Board of Ethics when they meet to discuss how far they are allowed to go with the genetic engineering.

Forget beautiful babies for one moment. If people had a choice of having a child who was gentically free of the cystic fibrosis genome....what do you think they would do?...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 26

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Unfortunately even the most healthiest person could walk around the corner and be run over by a bus so there are no promises that they could even live past the average age nowadays.

It would be amazing to get rid of those horrible diseases that suck the life out of people, but it's a shame people of today won't be able to have that ability. 😞

Message 4 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Professor Lowell Badge of the Medical Research Council said

There needs to be a debate... and some rational thought rather than knee-jerk reactions that say, 'No you can't possibly do that'”

I think that's true. I remember the same sort of reaction when IVF was being pioneered in the 70's. In 1978 we saw the birth of the first baby born via this method.

Today IVF is a way of life for many infertile people. ..and most of us accept it was an innovation of excellence.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 26

MI5
  • 144329 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The real question is "when will (or when should) it end?"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 26

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
In my opinion, the technology should only be used to eradicate the chance of the child carrying an illness that causes suffering and / or inhibits a "normal" healthy life.
Anything else is playing God.
Message 7 of 26

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
In my opinion, the technology should only be used to eradicate the chance of the child carrying an illness that causes suffering and / or inhibits a "normal" healthy life.
Anything else is playing God.

I completely agree @viridis!!! 

Message 8 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742774

Unsurprisingly, I see no reference to "Nazi Ideology" or "Master Race" or "Mendelian genetics" although H G Wells does get a mention.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Although I understand where you are coming from with that comments @viridis  what about this issue.??.

It has been said that  testing embryos for disease during IVF would be the best way of preventing diseases being passed down through the generations.

However,some men are left infertile by damaging mutations of genes..so whilst they can still have children through IVF, any sons would still have the mutations and would in turn need IVF.

Genetic modification could fix that....??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 26