Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A great escape

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

In 1991 a Frenchman called Emile Leray was driving his Citroen 2CV across the Moroccan desert when he was involved in an accident which damaged his car leaving him stranded in the middle of nowhere. 

Knowing that the trek out of the desert would likely kill him Leray set about breaking down his Citroen and using the parts to construct a make shift motorbike to escape the desert. The process took him around 12 days and with only half a litre of water left he finished the bike and took about a day to reach safety. Unfortunately for Leray the Moroccan police diden't approve of his construction skills and handed him a hefty fine because the registration documents for his car no longer corresponded to what he was driving. Smiley Very Happy

I probably would have attempted to walk out in his situation despite the risks as my mechanical skills are average at best. Does anyone think they could have built a similar vehicle with no power tools or welding equipment? 

Bike.jpg

Full story here

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

As a Mum I remember the destruction of shoes.....torn trousers at the knee, ripped shirts and jumpers...we became expert at changing wheels, tyres and handlebars.....Smiley Surprised

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 11