cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Cure for Paralysis (Spinal Cord Injury)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

There has been much in the news today but one item stood out for me.

Incredible news of the paralysed man who, after pioneering surgery, is learning to walk again.

Darek Fidyka had his spinal cord severed in 2010 after being stabbed repeatedly in the back. He was left paralysed with no hope of ever walking again

Professor Geoffrey Raisman, of University College London's Institute of Neurology, led the UK research team who developed the cell regeneration programme. It took 10 years.

He said what had been achieved was "more impressive than man walking on the moon".

I have worked in two spinal injury units during my nursing career and know first hand what this news will mean to many many people, so I am inclined to agree wholeheartedly with Professor Raisman's statement.........

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284152.php

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I read about this last night too. Amazing story
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I'm probably one of the few people allergic to penicillin:smileysad:

awwwwwwwwwwww jonsie heart Hug

sorry mate, I didn't know slight_frown

think positive ..... it could be worse ..... there is always someone worse off than yourself ..... = ..... yes?

that's what I do when I get just sickened off when I get 'bitten in the bum' because I'm classed as partially disabled ..... = ..... both mental & physical ..... no big deal ..... as ..... when cancer slight_frown hit my family recently, well I re-thought everything regarding my life ..... & ..... most definitely take each day as it comes slight_smile

chin up jonsie ..... Thailand here you come slight_smile

Message 12 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
My brother is allergic to it too.
Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Virtual kudos Cleoriff !

Amazing news...science never stops surprising us.

Message 14 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Just a little addendum to the off topic part about the common cold and using antibiotics...

No No and thrice times No.....:smileyhappy:

A common cold is caused by a virus and cant be cured by antibiotics.....

Only bacterial infections respond to antibiotics

Antibiotics Can't Treat the Common Cold

Antibiotics fight bacteria-related illnesses. Colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics won't help a cold. They may even do you harm. While it's rare, some people may have an allergic reaction that can be fatal. Also, taking antibiotics unnecessarily has led to the growth of several strains of common bacteria that are now antibiotic resistant. For these and other reasons, it is important to only use antibiotics in situations where they are needed.

(Excerpt from Web MD)

In addition to that, overuse of antibiotics given out willy nilly like smarties, by doctors have left us unprotected for many new infectious illnesses that are still mutating...

I shall now go and take my medical head off...and have a cup of tea...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 22

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Medical innovation never ceases to astound me - They'll be keeping us alive for ever soon slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry to hear that @viridis slight_frown

WispaRed7 Cat

Message 17 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Medical innovation never ceases to astound me - They'll be keeping us alive for ever soon slight_smile

Not sure I would be up for staying alive for ever...but I get your meaning about medical innovation...

Brilliant stuff... wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just a little addendum to the off topic part about the common cold and using antibiotics...

No No and thrice times No.....:smileyhappy:

A common cold is caused by a virus and cant be cured by antibiotics.....

Only bacterial infections respond to antibiotics

hi Cleoriff slight_smile

continuing the off-subject part of this thread ..... = ..... colds/antibiotics

I'm trying to explain to myself why on week's course of amoxycillin ..... = ..... I felt great

afterwards it was back to the original symtoms of high temperature (which I struggled to control = no names no packdrill :smileywink:0 ) ..... & ..... the just Goddamn awful sore throat (a weakness of mine) + other minor stuff not worth bothering about

surely if the 1st dose of antibiotics did me good att but not good enough to finish off the job I needed erythromycin, which I see as the next antibiotic up (I don't pop antibiotics willy nilly) am on too many prescribed tablets enough & am fully aware of why GPs don't in this country over-prescribe ..... it was 5 weeks from seeing the doctor to me feeling something which passes for normal

you are the expert on medical matters here on O2C Cleoriff ..... & ..... I'm not going to go against your medical knowledge ..... = ..... just trying to put all things together ..... as ..... don't particularly wish to go through that 'bug'? infection again

flu jab booked beginning of next month  

WispaRed7 Cat

Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 20 of 22