Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500 Million Yahoo! accounts hacked

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

This happened apparently in 2014 and you have to wonder why Yahoo! see fit only now to warn account holders.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37447016

"Yahoo says hackers stole information from about 500 million users in 2014 in what appears to be the largest publicly disclosed cyber-breach in history.

The breach included swathes of personal information including names and emails as well as “unencrypted security questions and answers”.

It did not include any credit card data, the site said, adding it believed the attack was state-sponsored.

In July, Yahoo was sold to US telecoms giant Verizon for $4.8bn (£3.7bn).

The FBI has confirmed it is investigating the attack."

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just had the email in from BT to change my password...Great ...2 years later...Smiley Mad

Hello,

You may have seen that overnight Yahoo! announced that a copy of certain user account information was stolen from its company’s network in late 2014. Yahoo! is the provider of some of BT’s customers email accounts and we are urgently working with them to understand if any BT customers were affected.

As a precautionary measure we strongly recommend that you reset your password and security question, especially if you haven’t updated it since 2014.

Resetting your password
To reset your password and security question go to bt.com/passwordreset

To find out more about how to protect yourself online and for tips on how to create strong passwords visit bt.com/protect-yourself

Got a similar email from Sky.

Capture4.JPG

Message 11 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Surely that criminal negligence to avoid telling people for that long?!
Message 12 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

You do tend to feel a tad despondent....anything literally could have happened within those 2 years we were kept in the dark...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Apropos of this fiasco, here is a link advising steps to take with your Yahoo account. Much of it is common sense, but it's worth reading and acting on the advice if you haven't done so yet.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/yahoo-account-hack-how-to-protect-yourself/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 16

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I get so much spam on both yahoo accounts that I'll probably just delete them anyway. Two years is an absolute joke and I just wonder if this wasn't made public because of the impending sale to Verizon? 

Message 15 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I don't get much spam and would be a little reluctant to let the account go. I use Outlook to bring in emails from two different email addresses. If Outlook plays up on PC then I can flick to Bt Yahoo to pick up some emails. It has been a good back up if honest...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 16