O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

O2 Wallet

Level 2: Apprentice
GoogleNexus

Post Office to roll out NFC payments to all 12,000 of its UK branches

O2 claim that the reason behind them not adding NFC support to O2 Wallet is that there isn't enough support. Of course, if this were true, they also certainly wouldn't have included NFC in the physical card that you're sent, would they?

Now the Post Office have announced that they'll be supporting NFC payments nationwide by October. And they're not the first to announce such a thing. The Co-op, ASDA and Tesco have announced similar plans. This is all without mentioning the fact that you can already use NFC to pay in every McDonald's in the country, as well as EAT, Pret and Starbucks. Go into your local corner shop and they'll probably support NFC, too.

So, this is further proof that the true reason behind the lack of NFC support in O2 Wallet is O2's incompetence. Look at Orange. They've had NFC payments for a year now. They're constantly innovating -- just last week they announced that you can use your Orange NFC device for your bus tickets. Why are O2 unable to do the same? Or at least give a real timeframe for when(or more realistically if) NFC will be available?

Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
Marshall

Re: Post Office to roll out NFC payments to all 12,000 of its UK branches

[ Edited ]

GoogleNexus wrote:
Why are O2 unable to do the same? Or at least give a real timeframe for when(or more realistically if) NFC will be available?

Hi GoogleNexus,

We've answered that question here:  http://j.mp/JwvhQf :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
GoogleNexus

Marshall wrote:

GoogleNexus wrote:
Why are O2 unable to do the same? Or at least give a real timeframe for when(or more realistically if) NFC will be available?

Hi GoogleNexus,

Please refer back to this thread, when we answered the same question :smileyhappy:  http://j.mp/JwvhQf

Hi Marshall,

In the thread that you've linked to, your canned response is that NFC will be available 'in time'. If you hadn't noticed, that's not a time frame. Here, let me show you what a real time frame looks like, as demonstrated by the Post Office: 'NFC payments will be supported in all of our branches by October 2012'. Notice how it mentions a specific month? That's a time frame, not 'NFC will be added to the O2 Wallet "in time"'.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 83
Solutions: 24

Agreed. 

And the guy in front of me at Greggs paid for his lunch using his phone, so the technology exists and, more to the point, works.

To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
GoogleNexus

I bought my Nexus from O2 because it was previously promised that NFC payments would be coming to O2 by the end of 2011. That didn't pan out. I'd love to move to Orange, but I'm locked in this damned two-year contract. If I had known that O2 were incapable of being innovative and keeping to their promises, I would've never started the contract in the first place.

It's embarrassing really.
Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 83
Solutions: 24

Once something disappears into O2 Labs, it rarely sees the light of day again. 

O2 Connect (calls via wifi) started as a closed beta in October - it's still there nearly 8 months later. 

Just installed this today https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paypal.android.paypalinstore&feature=nav_other#?t=... 

Not NFC but at least someone is making an effort to do pay by phone.

To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
Level 4: Observant
iooiuk

Seem to remember a few years ago that someone started this type of payment method. You simply used a text on your moible or were sent a code to pay.

Never took off, but than again maybe it was to advanced for its time.

Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
mrmadcat

on the teaser video o2 did for o2 wallet they showed someone in a post office collecting a parcel using NFC...possibly o2 are already in talks with the post office and they have been pushing this?
Simon
Please use plain text.
GoogleNexus

mrmadcat wrote:
on the teaser video o2 did for o2 wallet they showed someone in a post office collecting a parcel using NFC...possibly o2 are already in talks with the post office and they have been pushing this?

I doubt it. That teaser video was released in January, yet nothing has come to fruition.

I hope Orange sorts out their range of Quick Tap phones so that I can use my Nexus. O2 have become an absolute joke, and I look forward to O2 Wallet becoming a failure, just like O2 Money.

Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
Marshall

GoogleNexus wrote:
Hi Marshall,

In the thread that you've linked to, your canned response is that NFC will be available 'in time'.

Once there is a different answer to the question, we will let everyone know :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.