cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Home Broadband/Home Phone Archive) o2.co.uk Email Black Hole

Anonymous
Not applicable

It appears that email sent to people who previously had o2.co.uk email addresses, but did not transfer to sky broadband, emails sent to their o2. accounts are black holed. Smiley Frustrated

Will O2 or Sky implement something to stop the black hole. i.e. generate a message to sate that a email address is not valid for the sender?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

You need to either set up your email client (if you use one) to delete mail after retreival, or use another email service such as gmail to pick up your mail using the POP3 settings.

Note that all O2 email will be switched off soon anyway so you should make alternative arrangements.

If you use gmail then after signing on, goto settings, accounts and choose "Check email from other accounts (using POP3):" and use your O2 email as username

Pop3 server is mail.o2.co.uk (port 110).

If you label your incoming messages as O2 you can filter them to make it easier to check who to inform of your change of email.

It should work similarly for Outlook.com etc

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why the O2.co.uk email system wouldn't send back an NDR (non delivery Report). If the email system/servers are still up but email accounts have actually been deleted then the system does have the ability to send an NDR as it is a function of the standard SMTP email protocol.

However if the system has just been completely turned off then an NDR won't be produced.

Its also possible that O2.co.uk are sending NDRs but the senders email system isn't allowing NDRs into their mailbox!

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mail sent to my inaccessible mailbox: no delivery failure report sent.

Mail sent to a made up O2 address: delivery failure report sent as below.

Mailboxes are probably still collecting email just in case the user's mailbox is made inaccessible in error and needs to be restored.

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

ryh6syw6@o2.co.uk

Technical details of permanent failure:
 Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain o2.co.uk by mail.02.net. [82.132.141.69].

The error that the other server returned was:
 550 RCPT TO:<ryh6syw6@o2.co.uk> User unknown

Message 3 of 13

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
However if the system has just been completely turned off then an NDR won't be produced.

The o2.co.uk email system is still active for (former) O2 broadband customers moved to Sky automatically so can't just be switched off.

I agree though that there should be some kind of NDR sent back.

Incidentally it seems to be only accessible via POP now as the link on the 'linked accounts' page seems to have been removed.

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just been told that my O2 mail is full because it has exceeded it's 20mg which apparently is the limit of those were shifted to sky. I spent 3 hours trying to find an intelligent human being at O2 to explain to me how to get to my mailbox to reduce it's size - I failed completely one operator told me she had deleted the lot so I didn't have to worry! I am now frantic to try and get to my mailbox to find out what is in it, apparently you have to delete the trash as well. another guru told me I couldn't have been receiving emails from O2 because it hasn't been operative since November she was adamant that I was lying, I.d love to strangle her. Does anyone know how to get to the mailbox of those of us who kept their o2 emails alive - in detail please.
Message 5 of 13

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

You need to either set up your email client (if you use one) to delete mail after retreival, or use another email service such as gmail to pick up your mail using the POP3 settings.

Note that all O2 email will be switched off soon anyway so you should make alternative arrangements.

If you use gmail then after signing on, goto settings, accounts and choose "Check email from other accounts (using POP3):" and use your O2 email as username

Pop3 server is mail.o2.co.uk (port 110).

If you label your incoming messages as O2 you can filter them to make it easier to check who to inform of your change of email.

It should work similarly for Outlook.com etc

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

Also if there's a bunch of stuff in webmail deleted items they will have to be deleted in the webmail interface.

Message 7 of 13

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Not possible if the webmail interface is not accessible Oliver

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

Not possible if the webmail interface is not accessible Oliver

True, but oldrocker72 didn't say he has lost webmail access.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats worse, I have been using pop3 to pick up my O2 mails for about 8 years or so. Now I can only retrieve using webmail which I hate!!! Looks like O2 may be actively timing out Outlook clients from uplifting mail, continual "the connection to the server was interupted" etc etc.

I think it seems obvious that Telefonica want out of the UK telecoms market. Classic strategy on how to run down a service and alienate customers!

Message 10 of 13