on 31-03-2012 16:59
on 01-04-2012 15:24
I have since found out that after switching from WPA to WEP that these Box 5's seem to now stay connected.
My TG582n has an uptime of just over 8 days on WPA so you're wrong with that assumption.
Uptime: 8 days, 4:08:25
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) : 1.369 / 9.263
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) : 682,20 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) : 12,1 / 18,9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) : 21,1 / 38,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) : 7,3 / 5,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 563 / 8
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 729.700
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 805 / 826
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 477 / 8.614
Broadcast Network Name: Yes
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)
Security Mode: WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK Preshared Key: AB1234C5D6
WPA-PSK Encryption: TKIP&AES
WPA-PSK Version: WPA&WPA2
on 26-05-2012 06:56
Just to add that I have also been sent an an O2 Wireless Box 5 as an upgrade from 2 with generally the same problems as described on this thread. I sent the first one back thinking iy was faulty but the second one gave the same results.
I have a fairly extensive home network with 2 additional LAN extender switches, a ReadyNAS server (FTP and DNLA plus backup storage), a Slingbox, Squeezebox controllers and receiver, Smart TV, PS3, laptop, set-top boxes and Web Mains Switch. While the Wireless Box 2 works flawlessly, the 5 insists on crashing every few hours; it just cannot cope. It has the latest firmware.
The extra bells and whistles such as content storage (max transfer rate 3 MBytes/Second), FTP server and Wireless N would be fine if the rest worked OK so another box has to go back as it is worse than useless especially as reliable remote access is required for the Slingbox, Web Mains Switch and FTP server.
I have gone back to the Wireless Box 2 and will post any further developments.
26-05-2012 09:15 - edited 26-05-2012 09:17
I received my box last monday and my connection has been up for 4 days now. My network involves wireless connections to laptops and wired ethernet to 3 video equipment and they all seem fine. I am using WPA. There was a problem when I first connected, one XP machine would just not connect unless switched WPA to WEP. I tried probably two times more the WPA again and it finally worked on my XP machine. Pure luck? Now all machines connect fine.
PS does anyone know how to save the login details on either IE or Chrome or how to make it prompt me.
on 27-05-2012 00:18
I'm also having massive problems with the new wireless box. While the router page says the connection has been up for however many hours, the wireless signal is dropping at ridiculously frequent intervals.
I've been tracking it, and in the last hour I have had connections that stayed up for 1m40, 1m10, 28s, 16m04, 16m20, 1m37, 55s and 6m37.
Everytime the wireless signal on my comp flicks to no internet access or drops totally, it's variable and when trying to do a speedtest, i get an error on everyone I've tried saying that the upload portion is failing. Happily the download is 3mbps faster, but that would be great assuming everything I want to download can be done in 28 seconds...
I'm also failing totally to get into any secure sites - namely a payment using verified by visa or my online banking. They seem to be failing independenly of the connection.
Good news is plugging my old box back in and everything is happily back to normal and stable, now just to send the new box back. I think I'll stick to my sturdy one from years ago!
on 27-05-2012 16:10
I'm not sure if it's a problem on all WBV routers but mine definitely has a wireless fault.
Test 1 = iPlayer diagnostic using WBV wireless = streaming speed 60% - 66% of download speed.
Test 2 = iPlayer diagnostic using ethernet cable = streaming speed matches download speed.
Test 3+4 = using a different laptop I replicated the results in Test 1+2
Test 5 = using WBII iPlayer diagnostic wireless and ethernet streaming and download speeds match.
on 28-05-2012 15:35
Could disable the wireless QOS to see if that's the cause.
command to disable wireless QOS:
wireless qos config mode=disabled
Undo -- command to enable it (default):
wireless qos config mode=wmm
Having said that, it not a problem on my box IV which has the same QOS settings.
on 28-05-2012 16:50
I find it strange that just streaming via wireless is the only symptom.....you'd expect throughput speed to also show a difference.
Having said that the firmware must be defective because of all the spurious results eg upstream attenuation and Error Seconds so who's to say the firmware doesn't have a wireless glitch in it.