O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

Level 23: Casual Specs
Oliver341

Re: Which broadband provider to move to? Don't want Sky.

functions wrote:
So far, when I think I've the found a viable choice, there's something or another that ruins the whole the thing

Main competitors to Sky are BT, Talktalk and Plusnet.

Which ISPs have you looked at and why did you rule them out?

Oliver.
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

functions wrote:

Also, how long is o2 community going to be around for? I'd hate for one day to pop back from my trip to the corner shop 4-5 years later with a "heyyyy, I'm back...with the milk" and find that the place is no longer around. I'd be all like dour with this milk that's all sour and - a bit lost. 

I don't think the O2 Community will be going very far, as the CSA numbers are being reduced this becomes a more valuable resource.

I do expect the broadband section to go, although you will still be able to ask questions.

Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
fraz

Hey the question is when will I be moving am still getting a good service at the moment

and can sky legal change my package price suppose it depends on what o2 t&c were am out of contract so easier for me

I am only paying £6.50 plus any calls I make so I don't think sky will able to offer me anything better in terms of cost

I will be move to who not sure yet but want a good provider with good tech support as well as good speeds

I do hope sky keep me on same package cost cos will make think of staying with them but me thinks they will make my package more expensive

Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

If you haven't been following the pages of discussions in the forum you can catch up here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/broadbandchanges

and here:

http://help.sky.com/broadband/switching-your-broadband/switching-to-sky-from-o2-and-be

Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
fraz

Iv read it all ill probs go to plus net or bt
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
functions

[ Edited ]

Oliver341 wrote:

functions wrote:
So far, when I think I've the found a viable choice, there's something or another that ruins the whole the thing

Main competitors to Sky are BT, Talktalk and Plusnet.

Which ISPs have you looked at and why did you rule them out?

I've had BT previously and whilst they're not my number 1 choice, I wouldn't rule them out completely.

TalkTalk I'm not too keen on simply because of other family members experiences with them which were poor.

Plusnet seems promising as they're the closest to what I had/have with o2/Sky. I think it's the fact that I recently read a customer's switchover troubles on here that warded me off a little. Didn't realise how good I had it all these years with o2 broadband and phone until I've see what's on offer now.

Please use plain text.
Tox
Level 1: Joiner
Tox

Re: Which broadband provider to move to? Dont want Sky.

I've gone back to BT, move happens in just over a week and then I keep an eye out for the Infinity cabinet moving in nearby.

I had Sky TV and the never ending cost increases put me off so I went to Freesat. The incessant barrage of calls I have had recently offereing me inducements to go to Sky early have tipped the balance hence the move. The guy I spoke to when I asked for my MAC was astounded when I told hime that I had no interest whatsoever in free Sky TV. Sad that O2 did this, but it has focussed my mind. My mobile contract is up in a few weeks so I'm looking at who offers the best deal for a new iPhone 5S at the moment, the O2 offereing looks particularly expensive so to quote from a favourite file; "I think it's time for ta-ra, don't you".

There is a message for businesses in this though, be careful, there might be unintended consequences.

Please use plain text.
aldaweb
Topics: 32
Kudos: 65
Solutions: 35

Just got the letter from Sky with the costs if staying and it's actually 50p cheaper than I'm paying ATM for the first 12 months at least (with welcome discount).

I am on a rolling contract so I'll keep it for the time being but I'll be looking to check 4G rollout and even 3G implementation in the area (not my home) as ADSL speed is so low, in addition to other options.

I can't use BT as they won't invoice separately for the Broadband and it's not my landline and most other providers want landline as well.

BB Z10 4G + Playbook 64, NoteII LTE, iPhone 4S, HTC HD2 quad boot.

Review: Nokia Lumia 1020 ; Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ; Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

Unused or passed on: Nokia 3210, 6210, 6310i, 6820, 6320i, XDA Orbit, XDAMiniS, XDA Stellar, iPhone4, Palm Pixi Plus, BB9700

Z10 4G Speedtest
Please use plain text.
rabbituk

have signed up to Sky - phone and BB

Main purpose of post is to thank those who helped me when I first joined O2 and then when I tried to set up O2 e-mail on a NEXUS 7

A top class set of people and as I said then, I owe you a drink of whatever pleases you.

Cheers,

PS - if i find a better place I may post the thanks there - please forgive me if it's not allowed..........my thought is in the right place

Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
derek1999

I'm in the same boat as aldaweb (above), will actually be paying slightly less to Sky for the first 12 months on a rolling contract, so I intend to stick with it and see how it goes, at least for the first 12 months... to be frank, none of the alternatives look that great, and that guy that does the plusnet advert drives me mad lol...
Please use plain text.