O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

npr
Kudos: 192
Solutions: 91

Re: VPN access and router settings

That's the latest firmware :smileyhappy:
Before you do anything else try a factory reset on the router, that is needed for VPN to work after getting new firmware.
ie push a paper clip in the reset hole at the back of the router and hold it in until the power light changes.
It may be after doing that you don't need to mess with port forward.
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
RVolley

i have reset the router and restarted my computer but no joys unfortunately. i have however managed to find my PC name (didn't have the ethernet cable connected before!) but still the program fails to open!
Please use plain text.
RVolley

is there anywhere on the router where i can add the IP address of the VPN I'm trying to open? or is the port enough information?
Given that this is proving to be a bit problematic (been at it almost all week) do you know of anyone within o2 who i Could talk to?
Please use plain text.
npr

Don't need to place the IP of the VPN in the router as it allows all outgoing connections by default.
A software firewall on the PC could cause problems, but as you say it's worked from a different location that's unlikely.
You could try disabling windows firewall just to be sure.
The port information should be enough, that's to allow the inbound connection. If it's a VPN client I'm not sure you even need that, don't on the one I use.
Did the port forwarding go ok, you can check it's working by entering the port number in this site:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Are you sure it's the correct port? Which VPN client are you using?
Try phoning O2 support you may get lucky :smileyhappy:
If that doesn't work out, try again later in the evening when only 2nd line support are working.
Please use plain text.
npr

Just realised, for security reasons you may wish to edit the IP address in your first post.
Please use plain text.
RVolley

thank you very much npr1. i have checked and the port is open which is a good sign. i think there may be a problem with outages in my area - it's all i can think of. will call o2 this morning. THanks again - very much appreciated.
Please use plain text.
npr

I would question if you've got the correct port, that's not a standard VPN port.
For completeness, you could try forwarding the pre set rule "PPTP". That opens the ports required by many VPN app's.
Please use plain text.
guyrws

Definitive Fix for VPN access and router settings

[ Edited ]
Hello all,
I have been trying to get my daughter's access to her Aber Uni VPN since last year, via our o2 BB 2/II/ii wireless router modem.
Product Name: TG585v7
There have been many suggested fixes ending in the supposed definitive o2 firmware update Release: 8.2.7.7.
This did not work, but I came across this link:
http://www.josephn.net/scrapbook/fix_o2 ... _vpn_issue
Which if you follow with the standard wireless modem o2 install using:
http://softwaredownloads.o2.co.uk/O2Bro ... taller.exe
With full instructions here:
http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-upgrade-firmware/
This will insure that you have firmware update Release: 8.2.7.7 installed.
Basically it does a full reset "Performing this reset flushes the configuration and rewrites base defaults suited for the installed firmware version." curing the problem of: "a twist up in the wireless box's configuration created by an earlier firmware version"
I have done this and all is well. I assume that it will cure the other VPN problems when connecting to company VPNs.
But do watch out for this:
"Users should also be aware that the O2 Wireless Box only supports 1 VPN GRE pass-through per time"
Guy Smith
Please use plain text.