O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

Level 2: Apprentice
superboy2021

Torrent files not downloading

I run my own business and need to send large work files via torrent to my clients however since we were connected to O2 broadband on Monday I have not been having much luck with this. The files either don't send at all or are really slow.

I know that the broadband speed would fluctuate a lot over the first few days while it finds a constant steady speed, but it just doesn't seem to be working. Beforehand the files were always left to run overrnight, but they just don't seem to be working at all, after leaving them on overnight I will return the next morning and nothing has progressed. I think it has something to do with the upload speed which sticks at 0.0 to 0.2 (ish). It seems to usually occur when the computer is left alone.

I checked with O2 who assured me that torrents will work on their connection and after running a test online (http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php) it came up with no issue.

Does anyone have any advice on how to resolve this issue? I'm using a mac OS X 10.5.6 and the bittorrent application whih uses TCP port 6881. Any help is really welcome
Please use plain text.
dbames

I'm not a Mac user, but I can confirm that torrents work well over o2/be's LLU network. I can max my connection (up and down) with transfers. I'd make sure that TCP:6881 is being properly forwarded from the router to your Mac. Might be worth testing with a different torrent client too - how about "Transmission"?
Please use plain text.
superboy2021

I'm not a Mac user, but I can confirm that torrents work well over o2/be's LLU network. I can max my connection (up and down) with transfers. I'd make sure that TCP:6881 is being properly forwarded from the router to your Mac. Might be worth testing with a different torrent client too - how about "Transmission"?

Thanks for the reply - glad to know there is still hope! How exactly do I check that the TCP:6881 is being forwarded correctly? I'm not the most tech savvy person I'm afraid!
Please use plain text.
n64play

Yeah Transmisson is definately the way to go on a Mac with Torrents, been using it a while with O2 Broadband and had no issues
Please use plain text.
HTID_Mike

have a look on here www.portforward.com choose your router and the bittorrent client you are using and it will show you how to forward your ports.
Please use plain text.
dbames

Thanks for the reply - glad to know there is still hope! How exactly do I check that the TCP:6881 is being forwarded correctly? I'm not the most tech savvy person I'm afraid!

Sorry, I don't use the o2-supplied router so I can't give advice on that front. Personally, I forward 47997 (both UDP and TCP) to the client machine running a torrent client.
Please use plain text.
Kisstheasphalt

Your best bet is using www.portforward.com as previously mentioned, if you're not sure...just phone O2?
"Life would be much easier if I had the source code"
Please use plain text.
superboy2021

Thanks for all of the helpful replies guys - I have ditched BitTorrent and I am now using Transmission which is downloading and uploading items really quickly. A simple workaround, thanks for all your help!
Please use plain text.
HTID_Mike

Sorry, I don't use the o2-supplied router so I can't give advice on that front. Personally, I forward 47997 (both UDP and TCP) to the client machine running a torrent client.

No need to forward UDP ports for bittorrent, it only uses TCP :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Yorkshireman

Side note: Wow, some people do actually use P2P technology for ...'legitimate' reasons. :smileysurprised: ... :smileytongue:

</not-so-constructive post>
Decided to visit this board less frequent as of 25th of April since there's less activity.
Please use plain text.