O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

Level 2: Apprentice
raiderz

O2 wireless box II problems

I was connected 3 days ago, my o2 box II keeps freezing, I cannot get the internet, access the router login (o2wireless.lan) or anything when it does this, I get a yellow triangle with a "!" in it next to the network icon.

It freezes anytime between 5 mins connected or 12 hours connected, whether downloading at full speed or just idling.

I firstly assumed my line wasn't stable enough at the initial speed but if that was the case woulnd't I be able to still access local network using router?

I tried my old ADSL2+ router and it connects and runs flawlessly, thats the only way I can connect to O2 without it freezing.

Is my O2 box broke?
Please use plain text.
xesser

i've got the original o2 wireless box and had a similar problem. i rang up and they dialled into my computer and manually changed the frequency the wireless was operating on - apparently another wireless network next door was on the same frequency so was interfering with mine.

Mite not be the same seeing as it's a different version of the box, but maybe worth a try.
Please use plain text.
Steve_Blanchard

Re: O2 wireless box II problems

I was connected 3 days ago, my o2 box II keeps freezing, I cannot get the internet, access the router login (o2wireless.lan) or anything when it does this, I get a yellow triangle with a "!" in it next to the network icon.
It freezes anytime between 5 mins connected or 12 hours connected, whether downloading at full speed or just idling.
I firstly assumed my line wasn't stable enough at the initial speed but if that was the case woulnd't I be able to still access local network using router?
I tried my old ADSL2+ router and it connects and runs flawlessly, thats the only way I can connect to O2 without it freezing.
Is my O2 box broke?

You have the o2 Broadband assistant installed - I hope? use that to fault find when the router freezes. Could be you have a faulty box, is it very hot when being used?
Please use plain text.
scampi

I take it the O2 remote assistance relies on Windows Remote Assistance and/or Remote Desktop being enabled on my PC? I have those permanently disabled with a policy setting on my machine :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
raiderz

Re: O2 wireless box II problems

You have the o2 Broadband assistant installed - I hope? use that to fault find when the router freezes. Could be you have a faulty box, is it very hot when being used?

Well I thought it could be a thermal issue, so I left it unplugged all day today and it took 60 seconds before I needed to switch off and back on again... very very frustrated now...
Please use plain text.
raiderz

Got a replacement old style wireless box aka Thomson 780wl and its spot on, so looks like the old v2 one was faulty.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
satish_141

with my wireless box, the speed is too slow and it disconnects every 10 mins ...and the speed is less than 1 MBPS ..I live far from the exchange...but when I connect using the ethernet cable I get a very good speed of 4 MBPS... and the connection doesnt drop at all so I am sure its the wireless box thats the problem what shall I do ? pls suggest...

satish
Please use plain text.
Sassie

Wireless Box Problems

Firstly, I’m a newbie, so if I’ve posted in the wrong place, or my post is old news and something everyone knows – apologies!

When I got O2 broadband last month it would disconnect (and not re-connect) after just 10 minutes. It happened a few times so I rang O2 and they checked my phone line, which was OK, and said they’d re-set the box – after that it lasted 30 minutes before disconnecting. Even after a short period of time the box got very hot, and noticing the vents were underneath and the feet were very shallow, I wondered if it was overheating and cutting out. I put the box on its side and, touch wood, it seems to have done the trick. It stays connected for as long as I want and even after a couple of hours the box is only warm – not hot.

I emailed O2 a couple of weeks ago to ask if the boxes were prone to overheating, but despite chasing I haven’t received a reply yet.
Please use plain text.
satish_141

Wireless Box Problems

hi,

I had similar problem and I had to change the channel frequency on my router, apparently it was clashing with our cordless phone and since then it never disconnected once and the speed is good, I get 4 MB despite the fact that I live far from the exchange
Please use plain text.
matt_s_wise

Wireless Connection Problems

For the past month or so, the wireless on our Wireless Box II would randomly disconnect, or drop to an unusable speed (i.e. 1-2 MBPS). Then after a power cut last night the wireless has been refusing to work at all although the box would think everything was working. Linking up via Ethernet I could still connect, but not via wireless.

I have spent almost the entire evening, with the help of Google search, trying everything I could think of - rebooting, reverting to factory settings, even telnetting in with the special SuperUser account and tweaking settings there (Incidentally, "wireless debug txpower" is a red herring, it always displays 0mW).

Finally I was about to give up when I stumbled across this forum and read about changing the channel of the wireless in case leaving it on automatic conflicts with other wireless networks in range, or cordless phones. Well I thought it was worth a try, so tried setting it to channel 13. Nothing. Then I tried channel 10 and suddenly as if by magic my little Belkin wireless icon in the system tray lit up! Success!

So a) Thanks to those people who posted on this thread for stopping me losing my sanity, smashing the box up and buying a different box.
And b) I can verify that changing the channel will most likely solve your wireless connection woes.

Matt
Please use plain text.