O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

E-Z
Level 2: Apprentice
E-Z
Accepted Solution

How do you limit bandwidth of WiFi users on the Wireless Box IV?

I have a problem, I only get 1.5mb download speed and when my niece and nephew come over on the weekends, they want to use the net so I oblige (otherwise everyone nags at me) and turn on the WiFi. They connect their smartphone, tablet and laptop, so you can imagine when I find them watching videos online, it cripples the speed I get (even Google takes 10 seconds to load).

So what I'm wondering is if there's a way to limit the amount of bandwidth WiFi users get on this o2 Wireless Box IV? I've asked a Guru about this and he said no, I assume this is because for some odd reason the WB IV doesn't have the QoS feature?

I haven't (and don't want to) install software on their devices because they just uninstall anything I put on there and plus they have to be able to use their devices on their own network at home without any need for reconfiguring.

Can I do something with the Connection sharing option that you can see on each devices profile? By the looks of it that only seems to give them access to certain ports. Or is there software out there that I can have on just my computer that will give me the control I seek?

Help please! :smileysad:

Oh and just as a small note as I don't know if it's relevant, I use a program called cFosSpeed that prioritizes data packets so that I can browse the net at normal speed whilst also downloading (doesn't always work).

Please use plain text.
E-Z
E-Z

Re: How do you limit bandwidth of WiFi users on the Wireless Box IV?

Nothing? Oh well, I got sick of trying to find a software solution so I ended up buying a Netgear DGN2200 as recommended on o2help.co.uk.

So my next question is, can I force specific Wi-Fi users to browse through some sort of child safe enviroment? I recently found that my nephew was looking at **bleep** through Google Images on the laptop even though WebFilter for Chrome is installed and was succeeding in getting results. I see that the Netgear I'm getting has Parental Controls but I'm worried that will require active monitoring by me to make sure it's not missing anything. Either way, it's better than what I've got now.

Final question for now, does anybody know if this Netgear is compatible with Sky as I can't remember if they said would be keeping the network as is or if they would start changing things around in the near future?

Please use plain text.
Level 23: Casual Specs
Oliver341

You could set up a limited user on the laptop for your son, then install parental control software or use Windows built-in parental controls.

Sometimes you can extract the Sky username and password and use it with other routers, but some exchanges use MER authentication which makes it harder.

Oliver.
Please use plain text.
E-Z
E-Z

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks for your response.

He's not my son (thank god), he's my 11yr old nephew and it's my brothers laptop. I don't fancy starting an awkward environment in our house by speaking to him about it, as he only stays over on the weekends and I don't like talking to him because he doesn't listen to anyone anyway.

I've told his dad about his image searches, but nothing was said so I can only assume he doesn't want to talk to his own son about it either, plus my brother doesn't like it when I change things on his laptop even if I'm trying make it run smoother or be safer on the net.

So I think the easiest option is to limit bandwidth so my PC and phone can use my connection at normal speeds, as my nephew watches videos and plays Roblox which hogs up my puny 1.5mb connection. Then I'll try to block access to any adult sites/searches via the Netgear software.

Do you know if the DGN2200 can list all the url's that WiFi users have visited? Just like a browsers history, so I can easily check up on what my nephew has been looking at and then block any inappropriate content by adding it to a black list?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Oliver341

E-Z wrote:

Do you know if the DGN2200 can list all the url's that WiFi users have visited? Just like a browsers history, so I can easily check up on what my nephew has been looking at and then block any inappropriate content by adding it to a black list?

No, it can't do that. I suppose changing the router's DNS servers to OpenDNS and setting OpenDNS up with parental controls is possible (you can change it back when he's gone).

Oliver.
Please use plain text.
Baoser

Can you set your router to work in 802.11b mode ?  That will restrict the connection to 11Mb/s instead of 54Mb/s of 802.11g.

Please use plain text.
npr
Kudos: 192
Solutions: 91

Unfortunately there's only two options for configuring the routers wireless, b/g or b/g/n -- sorry no b only mode.

The OP's best option IMO is to configure the router to use opendns and then use opendns as a web filter.
http://npr.me.uk/webfilter.html

Please use plain text.
Level 33: Firestarter
PapaDug

I have this same router, and it has a "Guest Network Access" option which has separate security and access restrictions. It also has parental controls.

These aren't something I've looked into but I'll see what i can find out.

Google Image searches is something we've had problems with at work, where staff would use these to get past our Proxy server to see naughty pictures even though we enforce Safe Search on all Google searches.

Please use plain text.
Oliver341

[ Edited ]

Ah yeah, the DGN2200 does have Live Parental Controls (powered by OpenDNS) built into the router's interface, might as well use that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it missing stuff.

Oliver.
Please use plain text.
Level 33: Firestarter
PapaDug

just had a quick look at the userguide online http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200M/DGN2200M_UM_04Nov11.pdf

And I think if you set up a Wireless Guest Network and change the "Mode" option to use less bandwidth (if thats possible, I'm just going from the pic in the userguide as I cant check on mine at home) and then install and use Live Parental Controls it should resolve alot of your problems! :smileyhappy:

http://www.netgear.com/lpc

Please use plain text.