O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

Level 2: Apprentice
Donnylonny

Diary of my O2 experience and the nightmare its become!

The ongoing Diary of my experience with O2.and the escalating nightmare it has become!
January-Decide to sign up to O2 Home phone and Broadband, I have an O2 mobile so I am entitled to 12 months half price and the £30 'Winter Warmer' cash back. I receive regular Emails and Texts with what is happening with my account.
February 10th- Up and running, all is good and first bill is paid by direct debit. Nice and cheap too!
February 27th-Been a customer for more than the required 30 days and decide to go online to claim my £30 cash back, fill in form and I am told I will be notified when cheque is on its way.
February 28th-Recieve Text and Email saying my 'accessory' is on its way.
March 2nd-Receive O2 envelope with my £30 cheque? No! Its a returns invoice asking for the O2 modem back or I may face a £20 fine!! Ring O2 and am informed I received this as my contract had been cancelled! I then tell them I did not cancel it or have any intention of doing so, I am then told O2 did it by mistake! I am also told my Home phone will be cut off on 6th March. Also this cannot be stopped as I did not reply to an Email I did not receive (or was never sent?) informing me this was going to happen. I managed to get £10 credit to cover the extra call costs on my mobile and a Dongle to access the internet while I await reconnection which I am told will be 10 days maximum. Call centre worker says he will call me back on 6th March to update me on what is happening.
Go online later to notice a Bill Pending that is going to charge me £33 for cancelling my contract early! Ring O2 again and am told a 'flag' will be put on my account to cancel this charge once it becomes an actual bill.
March 6th- I receive no phone call from O2, the phone is cut off. I send an Email via Contact us page asking for more details of why and how my contract was cancelled. I also inform them that the phone is connected to an Emergency Panic Alarm used by my elderly disabled mother and needs to be reconnected quickly.
I receive a reply saying it was cancelled by mistake and could not be 'reserved' i think they meant reversed!, no more details other than that. Also informed my details were passed to the concerned department and they will reconnect as soon as possible and that all bills on this account will be waived and I will receive £20 credit when the new contract is started.
March 9th-Receive Email informing me I am not entitled to £30 Winter Warmer as I cancelled my contract within 30 days!
March 12th-February's bill is paid by my direct debit.(i thought bills were waived?)
March 14th-Call O2 for an update as it is close to the maximum 10 day reconnection time. Get cut off after 25 minutes while call centre worker looks at my case. Another call and an hour later it seems nothing has been done to get me reconnected and that I will no longer be able to have the home phone number I have had for 30 years! I inform them this is no good and to pass me on to a manager, he is busy right now but will call me back. I receive no call back.
March 15th-Another call to O2 and I finally get to speak to someone who I think can help. I am told there is a very very small chance I may get my old number but will have to wait and see. The Sales Team will contact me to set up my new contract. Also told I will not be 'out of pocket' after all this. The Sales Team do call and I am told an engineer is coming on 20th March to reconnect me.
My online account now says the cancellation charge is on hold.
Thanks for reading if you got this far. Lets see what happens on Tuesday!
Please use plain text.
silverstar

Re: Diary of my O2 experience and the nightmare its become!

I can understand fully how you must be fealing I had aimilar experience with o2 not with my broadband but mobile I was going through a very distressing time in my life and while this was happening o2 stole my mobile number (I am a PAYG customer) they never bothered to send me an email asking me if I still needed the number and the only time I knew what they had done was when I switched my mobile on and could not get a signal. I contacted o2 and they were as in your case less than helpful and all they could tell me was that it could be given to either a PAYG customer or contract one. I have posted details in both the PAYG and contract mobile forums in the hope that someone who have just been given the number can contact o2 and tell them to give it back to the person they stole it from.
I hope you are able to get your problem solved but as the problem was caused by o2 I don't hold out much hope for you. The way o2 treats it's customers is disgraceful.
Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 83
Solutions: 24

silverstar. The reason has been pointed out to you. They did not steal your number. Similar arrangements apply on all networks.
I know you have been going through a difficult time but going on about this will only make matters worse. Take it from someone who was once within an ace of a complete breakdown.
Donnylonny. Can I suggest editing your post to put blank lines between your paragraphs. As it stands it is a little hard to read and, as a long term member of this forum, I can tell you that such posts often get bypassed by busy members.
To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

@silverstar, your issue is totally irrelevant to what is going on here.
You may not like it but the loss of your number was of your own making, read the terms and conditions.
Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
Donnylonny

@silverstar, your issue is totally irrelevant to what is going on here.
You may not like it but the loss of your number was of your own making, read the terms and conditions.

How can it be "of my own making"? O2 wrongly cancelled my contract and started the process of cutting me off without telling me. When i did find out it was too late to stop it. How can i stop something i am not aware of? I am not a psychic!!
Edit, sorry Perksie i thought part of your post was directed at me, i now dont think it is? Ignore this post.
Please use plain text.
perksie

@Donnylonny
Sorry if you got the wrong impression, but I did address it @silverstar, his problem has nothing to do with yours, for which I have total sympathy.
He was also hijacking your thread to air an unjustified grievance.
I hope your problem gets sorted out quickly for you.
Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
Level 22: Usually online
Guest2

This "accidental" termination of a contract by the supplier, whether it's voice only, broadband only or both is becoming more common if you check other forums. If the voice only connection is terminated then chances are the broadband connection will be and this may involve a 2nd supplier.
It is something for which OFCOM should be issuing guidelines to ensure that any "accidental" cut-off by supplier is immediately reversed and is not the subject of the normal provisioning timescale.
The initial error is inexcusable but the delay to reconnect is totally unacceptable.
Please use plain text.
perksie

This "accidental" termination of a contract by the supplier, whether it's voice only, broadband only or both is becoming more common if you check other forums. If the voice only connection is terminated then chances are the broadband connection will be and this may involve a 2nd supplier.
It is something for which OFCOM should be issuing guidelines to ensure that any "accidental" cut-off by supplier is immediately reversed and is not the subject of the normal provisioning timescale.
The initial error is inexcusable but the delay to reconnect is totally unacceptable.

I agree, I was keen to take Home Phone with O2, but sat back to see if any problems arose and they do seem to have had more than one would expect, so I'm glad I have kept my phone and broadband separate.
O2 should be jumping to get this sorted out with as little delay as possible.

Please use plain text.
Donnylonny

Thanks for the sympathy and replies. I can understand a mistake was made, we can all make them but O2's system of not being able to reverse the cut off is wrong.
What made my situation worse were the call centre workers i spoke to, one had a good winge to me saying HE was having a bad day because his faulty headphones were "doing his head in" another replied to my pointing out to him that calls from mobiles cost more than a landline was true in theory, and i didnt make many calls so it shouldnt matter anyway! I hope for O2's sake i was unlucky with who i spoke to and they are not all like that.
Please use plain text.
Level 22: Usually online
Guest2

[ Edited ]
we can all make them but O2's system of not being able to reverse the cut off is wrong.

Yes......it makes it a case of "heads we win, tails you lose...Ha Ha Ha !".
And that is wrong, it should not be allowed and is why I said OFCOM need to act.
The only way they would know about occurrences such as yours, is if the user lodges a complaint with OFCOM. The more complaints they receive the quicker they react to change the compliance requirements.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/t ... -problems/
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/
If you look at these pages then you'll see there is no section which actually corresponds to the problem.....OFCOM need to be made aware of this relatively new service failure. The more complaints they receive the sooner the problem will be resolved.
Please use plain text.