O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

Level 2: Apprentice
Danny213

Cancelling o2 contract.

Can someone please help me, i'm in an impossible situation with O2 and refuse to pay £120 to get disconnected.

I have recently moved back home and my Dad is under a 12 month contract with Sky Broadband, therefore, I cannot switch O2 to my house.

As my landline from my flat is being disconnected, O2 have told me they will charge me £50 for a disconnection fee and the remaining total payments on my 12 month contract.

I find this highly unacceptable as i'm in a situation where I cannot use their service under any circumstances and i've only been into my contract for about 80 days.

I refuse to pay over £100 to get disconnected and i'm looking for any help or advice to calmly resolve this issue. I don't mind paying the £50 disconnection fee on it's own, or paying my £12 monthly bill until it comes to and end. However, O2 are insisting this is not the case.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I simply refuse and CANNOT afford to be billed £120 straight.
Please use plain text.
Level 23: Casual Specs
Oliver341

Cancelling o2 contract.

Unfortunately, a 12 month contract is a 12 month contract. There is nothing in law to say that O2 have to waive the rest of the contract, so if they are unwilling to do this for you there is nothing you can do but pay.
Oliver.
Please use plain text.
Danny213

Cancelling o2 contract.

I am willing to pay the remainder of my 12 months. I just refuse to be billed that amount PLUS the £50 disconnection fee in one straight payment.
Please use plain text.
Oliver341

Cancelling o2 contract.

I'm not sure you are liable for the remaining contracted months and £50, I thought it was just the remaining contracted months one has to pay for. Check http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/broadband and see if it's listed.
Oliver.
Please use plain text.
stevoR

Cancelling o2 contract.

If your line is disconnected at the BT end of things a £50 fee will be added I think. What to do is cancel via O2 first, all they can charge is the remainder of the contract. The £50 was for customers who signed up on the old Ts&Cs before the turn of the year.
Please use plain text.
Oliver341

Cancelling o2 contract.

If your line is disconnected at the BT end of things a £50 fee will be added I think.

Surely they can't pass that charge on to customers without specifying it in the T&C? I see no mention of it.
Oliver.
Please use plain text.
Danny213

Cancelling o2 contract.

thanks for the replies guys, so what should I do first? I just don't see why they can't accept £50 and be done with it.
Please use plain text.
RCBB

Cancelling o2 contract.

If you ordered your broadband after 18/12/2008 then you are liable for the remainder of your contracted billing amount. If you ordered before that date you are liable for a £50 termination fee - actually it's more like £48 and some pennies with the lower VAT rate.
Please use plain text.
Oliver341

Cancelling o2 contract.

I'm still confused as to why the OP is getting asked for the contract remainder and £50.
Oliver.
Please use plain text.
Danny213

Cancelling o2 contract.

I ordered in January this year.

I don't understand why I can't just pay either the £50 now, or carry on paying £12.23 a month until the 12 months is up.

I'm NOT paying both in one sum. I refuse to do so, and the situation i'm in doesn't warrant such amount.
Please use plain text.