O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Home Broadband & Home Phone

O2 Social Media Team
Paul

An Update on Home Broadband Access

Hi everyone,
Below is an update from Felix Geyr, our Head of O2 Home Broadband around our Access product.
At O2, we’ve listened to customer feedback on the terms of our Fair Use Policy and recognise we need to be clearer about what we consider excessive use to be.
When we launched our Home Broadband Access service a couple of years ago, we sold our package as unlimited, subject to fair usage. Since then, usage has risen significantly and there are now a small number of customers that do affect the experience of others.
Because of this, and the fact that we want to be open and honest, we are changing our package and setting a fair usage policy at 40GB. This is over 10 times an average customer’s usage and for 90% of all Access customers it will mean no change to how they use the service. It will, however, mean a better experience for all as very high users will be reducing their usage. For customers who go over the 40GB limit, we will contact them and discuss ways to moderate their use.
We are continuing to invest in further improving the experience of our Access service and recently boosted the capacity on the service by a further 20%. In addition, this year we plan to unbundle 43 more exchanges, expanding our LLU network to cover an even bigger proportion of the UK population and allowing us to move Access customers over onto our own network enabling us to offer both faster speeds and reduced prices.
Felix Geyr, Head of O2 Home Broadband
Thanks
Paul
Please use plain text.
Level 22: Usually online
Guest2

Just as I said in an earlier thread, before the OFCOM and the ASA ruling to ban the use of "unlimited" in certain advertising claims, O2 decide to quantify it :mansurprised:
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

It is good to see this confirmation at last.

The limit may be a bit low, but folk will know where they stand.
Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
Level 22: Usually online
Guest2

It is good to see this confirmation at last.
The limit may be a bit low, but folk will know where they stand.

Agreed, but from a corporate viewpoint, wouldn't it have been better if the decision had been made months ago before the external pressure began building ?
Please use plain text.
Level 4: Observant
JackDinn

well at least now we know !

what terrible management of this whole situation. I hope they are forced to remove the "unlimited" term and just call a spade a spade (40GB/month).

I still believe this will NOT help o2's peak time problems but im not bothered as 40GB is just way to low and I'll now be requesting another mac (my last has expired now) and moving out.
Thx for all your time,
JackDinn.

JD's AutoSpeedTester|Broadband Helper
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
tinman9898

40gb cap on unlmited access product

Does this mean the 10GB cap I was advised about by o2 customer service has been raised to 40gb? Will they still cut you off for going over 10gb or will they now cut off your connection for going over 40 gb? My gf was scared to use youtube or watch online tv in case we got disconnected and lost our connection completely... We were actually thinking of ditching broadband and going back to dial up if the only thing we could use the connection for was browsing and email.

It would be better just to slow your connection down if you go over rather than cut you off... cutting people off is bad business practice and will get o2 a bad reputation.... If they don't already have one from this latest fiasco with access. O2 also need to add a way of monitoring your usage now they have introduced a cap on the access product.
Please use plain text.
Level 8: Talented
Mathrin

Re: An Update on Home Broadband Access

Because of this, and the fact that we want to be open and honest, we are changing our package and setting a fair usage policy at 40GB. This is over 10 times an average customer’s usage and for 90% of all Access customers it will mean no change to how they use the service. It will, however, mean a better experience for all as very high users will be reducing their usage. For customers who go over the 40GB limit, we will contact them and discuss ways to moderate their use.

This is seriously what a suit believes?

Ho hum, at least its clear now. Shame they couldn't have done this before spouting massive amounts of rubbish to people for 4 months.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
tinytim

Re: 40gb cap on unlmited access product

It would be better just to slow your connection down if you go over rather than cut you off... cutting people off is bad business practice and will get o2 a bad reputation.... If they don't already have one from this latest fiasco with access. O2 also need to add a way of monitoring your usage now they have introduced a cap on the access product.

Access is already slow at peak times regardless of what you download.

If there's a cap then it should be split by peak & non-peak times ( as many other ISPs do ) as those that download a lot are often doing out of peak as it's impossible during peak.
Ex Access User/Now SKy
Please use plain text.
JackDinn

those that download a lot are often doing out of peak as it's impossible during peak.

yea we all know this to be fact but still o2 will not listen they just quote the spiel about only looking at your usage over the course of the month, peak/of-peak makes no difference.

which is why they still have not answered my question "what is this detrimental affect we are having on others ?" because if they do they would have to admit that its JUST a peak time thing and therefore it can NOT be caused by heavy DL'ers
Thx for all your time,
JackDinn.

JD's AutoSpeedTester|Broadband Helper
Please use plain text.
ochso

Well it is about time, all the complaining has paid off, to some extent at least.

I take it that O2 will be providing the appropriate on-line support package, for users of the Access package, to monitor their real time usage over the month?

Ochso
This sig is empty , there are no words here . Your imagination is running riot.
Please use plain text.