Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xperia sp or moto g?

CamR01
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 34 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi I'm upgrading this week and can't decide. After a recent price drop in the spring they're the same price on Refresh. Any opinions on which phone is better? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 30
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you've picked two good phones which makes a comparison difficult but here goes!

The SP is 4G and has a better camera, the Moto G is not 4G (at least not on O2), but the Moto G does have a quad core CPU vs the SP's dual core (although the SP is clocked faster) and you'll get vanilla android along with updates first, the SP comes with Sony and O2 software bundled and you won't get updates as quickly, assuming this is something that you care about. Unless faster data is a killer feature for you, I doubt you'll really go wrong with either, they're both really good phones for the price, as bandofbrothers said, I think with these two it really comes down to aesthetics and you personal preferences so it's best to go into a store and have a play with them both.

To give you an idea of how little difference there is specification-wise:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-G,Sony-Xperia-SP/phones/8208,7785

Happy shopping! slight_smile

Message 4 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

CamR01
  • 34 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I meant record drop in the sp's price
Message 2 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

I would suggest you perhaps pay a visit to the high street shops with working demo models on display to play with and compare.

Aesthetics and disposable income can play a big part in choice too.

Perhaps let us know which you eventually chose and why.

Happy hunting.
Message 3 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you've picked two good phones which makes a comparison difficult but here goes!

The SP is 4G and has a better camera, the Moto G is not 4G (at least not on O2), but the Moto G does have a quad core CPU vs the SP's dual core (although the SP is clocked faster) and you'll get vanilla android along with updates first, the SP comes with Sony and O2 software bundled and you won't get updates as quickly, assuming this is something that you care about. Unless faster data is a killer feature for you, I doubt you'll really go wrong with either, they're both really good phones for the price, as bandofbrothers said, I think with these two it really comes down to aesthetics and you personal preferences so it's best to go into a store and have a play with them both.

To give you an idea of how little difference there is specification-wise:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-G,Sony-Xperia-SP/phones/8208,7785

Happy shopping! slight_smile

Message 4 of 30

CamR01
  • 34 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks to you both, a first post is always a bit scary! As I'm on Gingerbread now (Xperia Ray, a nice but outdated phone), I didn't know how big a deal it was that the Moto is on KitKat compared to Jellybean on the SP. Particularly as I'm expecting to use the phone for 2 years. Any thoughts on that?

Message 5 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Moto g buy it try it u will love it I've got it too slight_smile
Message 6 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Primarily you need to like the phone your going to use long term but yes future proofing if possible is a sound move.

Updating firmwares is important to take advantage of new features.

It's sometimes down to personal taste in what a firmware update / upgrade brings. Some update their phones and some don't depending on what it brings to the table.

If you google these firmware names you will find a massive amount off good info on them.
Message 7 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just bear in mind the Moto G is a "cheap" phone whereas the SP is discounted at the moment - Quality comes at a price wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 30

CamR01
  • 34 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm edging towards the sp as it's on offer at the moment and the camera looks better than the moto. One thing is that o2 only do the sp in white, but presumably I can buy a case to rectify that to some degree. 

Message 9 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Have a demo with it and see how it feels for you.

A case can shield the original colour yes.

Message 10 of 30