cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website crashes one word Joke

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can not believe that with all the time you have had to prepare and knowledge of how many people will be trying to pre order you still cant get your IT ready. NOT WORKING. GATEWAY ERROR 502. Sort it out or buying elsewhere.

Message 1 of 78
77 REPLIES 77

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks horlix, just preordered! Now I can finally go from being worried to excited! It's going to be a long 7 days!
Message 61 of 78

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice one!. Looking forward to seeing if all this hassle was worth the wait!. Enjoy your new iphone slight_smile

Message 62 of 78

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, just upgraded with Carphone Warehouse too. IPhone 6 Plus 128GB. Delivery expected 19th.They upgraded me with O2, when O2 couldn't.......

Message 63 of 78

gjdemon6646
  • 191 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Sounds like the CPW might be the way forward if everyone is doing it.

I see with have no update with O2 and everything is still down

Message 64 of 78

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup also upgraded with CPW to a nice shiny Iphone 6 plus 128Gb.

Fiday cannot come soon enough

Has anyobody received an e mail confirmation from CPW?

Message 65 of 78

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree.  O2's website has been a joke for over a year or so.... but this is ridiculous.  HAVE THEY NEVER HEARD OF PERFORMANCE/LOAD TESTING????

@Anonymous wrote:

I can not believe that with all the time you have had to prepare and knowledge of how many people will be trying to pre order you still cant get your IT ready. NOT WORKING. GATEWAY ERROR 502. Sort it out or buying elsewhere.

Message 66 of 78

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree.  O2's website has been a joke for over a year or so.... but this is ridiculous.  HAVE THEY NEVER HEARD OF PERFORMANCE/LOAD TESTING????

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure they have and they probably do test under load. Except there is probably no test case for x amount of users press F5 y amount of times in a short period of time over an SSL connection going back and forwards z times.

Once you do have the results from testing, then there is the analysis of the figures followed by adjustment and running through the scenario again. Which all has to be documented for review and inevitably costs money in time and resources. Over the course of a year, this situation is rather small compared to the actual response of the website during normal loading periods which is more like the usual test cases they plan for.

Throw into that the setup of the cluster of front-end servers, databases and whatever programming language they use for processing then its not as straight forward as you think as there might be some other interfaces involved we don't know about. Java has its own set of tuning parameters let alone Nginx which they've swapped to from Apache (Source: http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=www.o2.co.uk#last_reboot). Even the operating system needs to be tuned and believe me, even if the stats show its good under load, it can go wrong.

If you want to know more on the subject, google: apache performance tuning, java performance tuning and then lookup linux performance tuning. The subject is quite fascinating once you get into it.

Message 67 of 78

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think anyones doubting that things can go wrong sheepgog, however a company such as O2 (Who lets be fair are not a fly by night company) should absolutly have the resource to check, double check and check a thousand times to make sure the server is efficient ready for D day. O2 will have lost alot of money today, Those first hours are crucial in a communications release. I seriously hope they learn by today. The feedback i have read in the way o2 have dealt with this is aweful. 

Message 68 of 78

Anonymous
Not applicable
Get it into perspective guys. The site struggled for about an hour max then all was fine. I myself had no problem with the site after 9.30 and that include the o2 shop and community including the iPhone pages.

Today was the release day. There Are issues across the globe with 528 networks and Cisco are dealing with this so it was likely that a surge in demand would affect traffic into some sites and today that occurred with o2. No matter what contingency the global networks would have been a problem.
Message 69 of 78

Anonymous
Not applicable

One word for O2 and not just it's website.......UTTER JOKE.

I'd steer well clear, I've had nothing but problems with them recently after being with them 12 years and now can't even upgrade so I'm off to EE

Message 70 of 78