cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using monthy contract iphone in the channel islands

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

From tomorrow afternoon I will be in the channel islands and understand there is no 02 coverage there so my allowances will not be taken into account and will only be used again when I return to UK (is that correct?).  I already have 02 travel setting on my phone so will activate when I get there (is that correct?) and understand there is a 50p initial connection fee after which i can talk free for 60 mins.  Is that 60 mins in total whilst in the channel islands or 60 mins per day??  What happens after the 60 mins are used up?  I also understand that I will be charged £1.99 per day if data is used - how much data is permitted?  I seem to have some of the picuture but not all of it - so frustrating.  Ooh what about texts?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you the very helpful 02 community.

Karen

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

International costs here
http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
Very good deal on European travel with O2 so not worth the hassle of changing sim cards and trying to get a different number to anyone who might want to contact you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Data is unlimited for 1.99 per day.
Connection charge for any call is 50p then free for 60 mins (from your UK allowance, radial after 59 mins).
Texts are free to receive and from memory 7p to send.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or if you plan ahead.

have your phone unlocked for free here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form and use a local SIM card.
Message 3 of 20

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

International costs here
http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
Very good deal on European travel with O2 so not worth the hassle of changing sim cards and trying to get a different number to anyone who might want to contact you.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
So now the Op has all the info they need to make their own informed choice.
Message 5 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I am in Spain at the moment and we are getting a lot of use out of the call facility with its 50p connection fee....

I have told family members in the UK NOT to ring constantly for lots of short calls...:smileywink:

So we have a routine going that they ring once a day...and talk for 59 minutes and then get off...Fear

Seriously ...it works very well and keeps the call bills at a minimum.

Enjoy your holiday wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 20

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

To be honest, travelling within Europe is getting ever more affordable and reasonable. It's difficult to see any advantage in using a local sim card unless calling within the country you are visiting to a non UK number.

Message 7 of 20

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Indeed that is true Josie.
Unless the costs of using a local sim (min top up and costs for calling back to UK) are accurately assessed it is pretty irrelevant for European travel.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's 60 mins per call you can make or receive as many calls as you like at 50p charge each one very reasonable I think
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your responses. Happier now that I know the full situation. Very helpful.

Karen
Message 10 of 20