cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unfair default on O2 account

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I need some help and advise please......

Recently my partner checked his Experian credit report as we are applying for a mortgage soon and upon checking this he saw that he had a default on his account from O2 going back nearly 2 years.  He left O2 and went to 3, when doing this there was an outstanding balance left on his account which he did not realise.  As soon as he realised this he called up and paid the £58.00 immediately, we then went on to contact O2 as he had never being made aware that he owed the money, he has never owed money before and had a perfect credit rating now thanks to the absolute space cadets that are O2 we are now going to struggle to get a new home.  They not once have tried to ask for the money back and considering they are a telecommunications company I think it is pathetic.  I have being in contact with all sorts of departments from credit referrals, web team, customer service and now complaints review.  Please can someone help me as all we want is the default form the account removed as it is completely unfair, how are you meant to pay a bill which you do not know about??  To say I am angry and at the end of my tether would be an understatement and would like some advice as to what route to take next.  I have read many articles online where O2 have done exactly the same thing to other people and they have removed the default.  O2’s customer service is shocking and I would never return to this big bully company, when the new iphone 6 comes out I shall most defiantly be moving to EE.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated slight_smile

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
However in reality i find it TOTALLY ASTOUNDING that o2 feel they can destroy someone's otherwise perfectly good credit record without making reasonable attempts to recover the debt.

That is the really scary bit that could potentially effect any of us here on contracts....... Smiley Frustrated

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed Rich which is why i flagged the response to the OP to the moderators as o2 must be seen and must also act ethically and above board.

If it were me i would have the guts to launch a test case against o2 to bring about change.

O2 MUST make reasonable efforts to contact debtors before updating credit records with defaults (in many cases people just may not know). A letter or email would suffice. Of course then again maybe o2 do and people being affected may not be receiving them or may have moved or may have changed email address. We will never know on here for sure re each OP but the current situ needs review by O2.
Message 22 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
It certainly worked for the couple in the news link I pasted in. They pushed and nagged until common sense was seen.
Message 23 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which was an excellent result @Anonymous but it really shouldn't take that much effort to resolve simple situations.

In that case the OP almost lost a potential new house over an old £12 debt as i recall that they genuinely doesn't know about.
Message 24 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. They posted in the forum initially asking for advice.

If someone intentionally defaults then they deserve the ramifications.

It's just saddening that those that genuinely don't or are not aware are then caught up in the sheer red tape.
Message 25 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes. They posted in the forum initially asking for advice.

If someone intentionally defaults then they deserve the ramifications.

It's just saddening that those that genuinely don't or are not aware are then caught up in the sheer red tape.

@Anonymous    I don't know about others but I know that on many occasions when purchasing things online I have been guilty of ticking the little box that says "I have read and accept the terms and conditions"  or similar wording, without actually having read the thing at all.  That is I know a very  silly practice, but I am human after all.  Fortunately for me I have never had a situation of a missed payment with all the ramifications but with the potentially serious effect on people's ability to secure mortgages etc there must surely now be a greater responsibility on companies to ensure that customers fully understand these things. 

I think O2 should take a lead here by (a) providing a simple summary of T&C pointing out in clear and unequivocal language what will happen if a payment is late or missed, and (b) requiring a  tick to be inserted after each and every paragraph of the T&C before a sale is completed.  This might be irksome, and it might slow up the sales process but it might also reduce the heartache for those who fall into the trap.

Gerry 

Message 26 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

O2 MUST make reasonable efforts to contact debtors before updating credit records with defaults (in many cases people just may not know). A letter or email would suffice. Of course then again maybe o2 do and people being affected may not be receiving them or may have moved or may have changed email address. We will never know on here for sure re each OP but the current situ needs review by O2.

@Anonymous Thanks for your work and great guidance on this issue.   As regards contacting customers -why can O2 not send a text message or even (and this is stretching it I know) even make a phone call to a "defaulting" customer using thier mobile number?

Gerry

Message 27 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course @Anonymous one of the biggest concerns from customers of many online organisations is that you go to the t&c's and they run to thousands of words, pages long, written in legal speak and to be honest by the end of it i feel like i am losing the world to live.

T&C's should have a basic "written in plain English" summary. A big ask i know
Message 28 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, sorry to hear about your experience with o2 and how this is affecting you but when you spoke to customer services they should have given you more options.

If you get a copy of your credit report and send it to one of the options below,with a description of what happened and why you don't agree with it credit referals will investigate your case and contact you within 10 working days

- e-mail - CreditFileReferrals@o2.com

- fax  0113 2025865

- post -Credit File Referrals Team, Suite P Millshaw Park Lane, Arlington Business Centre, LS11 0NE Leeds

Unlike what  was mentioned, all cases do get looked at individually. Unfortunately I can't comment if they will or not remove it but if somebody can change it , it's them.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Message 29 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi all,

i cannot thank you all enough for all the advise and links.  I am determind to get this default removed. I have contacted the O2 credit file referals and i am now waiting to hear back from them.

I will keep you all updated, please bare with me as i am a complete novice at this.

Once again thank you for all the help slight_smile

Message 30 of 43