cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
how true is this for the next iPhone 7 i don't know.
http://dailym.ai/1GnTJ7U to have a waterproof iPhone 7.
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Apple and other companies file a LOT of patents that never become incorporated into actual products, so don't take it as a guarantee of a waterproof iPhone 7.

Infact, the patent doesn't mention the iPhone specifically:

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=3&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=(174%2F251.CCLS.+AND+20150305.PD.)&OS=ccl/174/251+and+pd/3/5/2015&RS=(CCL/174/251+AND+PD/20150305)

Reading the method, which is actually quite interesting, personally I would have thought it would be easier to apply to a physically smaller device first, such as the Apple watch.

But then what do I know? Evil

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure @Anonymous ...however they are trying to play catch up with Android...if you read this sentence in that article you posted... wink

Within weeks of Samsung releasing its waterproof Galxy S5 last year, Apple filed a patent that took it's rival's technology a step further"

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Apple and other companies file a LOT of patents that never become incorporated into actual products, so don't take it as a guarantee of a waterproof iPhone 7.

Infact, the patent doesn't mention the iPhone specifically:

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=3&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=(174%2F251.CCLS.+AND+20150305.PD.)&OS=ccl/174/251+and+pd/3/5/2015&RS=(CCL/174/251+AND+PD/20150305)

Reading the method, which is actually quite interesting, personally I would have thought it would be easier to apply to a physically smaller device first, such as the Apple watch.

But then what do I know? Evil

Message 3 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I want to be the first to know when some idiot deep sea dives to 30 ATM and wonders why it suddenly breaks. Actually you wouldn't be allowed to dive so deep if you were an idiot. It looks like a good thing though as anything that protects your investment can't be wrong. 

Sapphire Crystal Glass, IP 57 rated construction, plays Angry Birds and oh it makes calls as well. Ah I'm joking around however we'll see what happens.

I removed the copy and paste part. However the point is there is many standards to follow and fitting this into a around a 6" diameter device is a technical issue which is going to take a lot fo R & D.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

I want to be the first to know when some idiot deep sea dives to 30 ATM and wonders why it suddenly breaks. Actually you wouldn't be allowed to dive so deep if you were an idiot. It looks like a good thing though as anything that protects your investment can't be wrong. 

Sapphire Crystal Glass, IP 57 rated construction, plays Angry Birds and oh it makes calls as well. Ah I'm joking around however we'll see what happens.

Have you looked at the Apple patent, though?  As I understand it, it's a method for waterproofing the actual circuit board and components directly.  Basically spraying a glue type stuff all over it, rather than making the casing waterproof.  So if it is used for the Apple watch, it'll be a bit different to your average splash resistent kit.

Message 5 of 13

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

@Anonymous You probably know too much and don't be surprised if the SWAT squad pound your property at a moments notice.

Message 6 of 13

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I'm no engineer although wouldn't that just only protect the internals. It's like a having a safe in your house and no alarm on your property. You will still need sufficient resistance on the chassis side of things. It might seem like I'm a picking holes although I am just curious to what the final product design will be.

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

@Anonymous You probably know too much and don't be surprised if the SWAT squad pound your property at a moments notice.

I've got my passport at the ready :smileywink:.

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

I'm no engineer although wouldn't that just only protect the internals. It's like a having a safe in your house and no alarm on your property. You will still need sufficient resistance on the chassis side of things. It might seem like I'm a picking holes although I am just curious to what the final product design will be.

As I understand it, the downside of existing waterproofing is that a tiny, tiny, hole in an otherwise waterproof device renders it useless.

With this system, the chassis would presumably still be waterproofed, but if there was a small amount of water ingress, it wouldn't be disasterous.  See paragraph three of the patent itself.

Really, skim through the patent if you haven't already, it's interesting reading.

Message 9 of 13

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I will at some point.

Just out of interest

3 ATM - Splashproof

10 ATM - Water Resistant up to 100 Metres

20 ATM - Water Resistant up to 200 Metres

30 ATM - Water Resistant up to 300 Metres/SCUBA

Surprisingly 30 ATM is rarely used unless your talking about proper Navy certified diving watches.

Message 10 of 13