cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 - £90 more that the UK Retail Price - Why??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone noticed that O2 are charging £90 more than the Apple retail price for the iphone 6?

I called O2 to upgrade both my phones and they said, no discounts "its a business decision".

Sounds a stupid business decision to me as I just bought two from the Apple store!

Mike,  

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Mike_H

O2 affix their own price to the iPhone 6 models which can mean it's sometimes dearer than what Apple sell them sim free unlocked.

It's down to disposable income sometimes.

A person may be happier paying for the phone in interest free instalments (Refresh Tariff) than laying out £600+ in one go.

A matter of choice.
Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Been happening for years with O2 & not just with I Phone's.

Your not the first & wont be the last person to point this out either, O2 just don't care.

Smart move getting the handsets direct from Apple, at least you didnt have the added disapointment of O2 & there wonderful handset delivery service tongue

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Mike_H

O2 affix their own price to the iPhone 6 models which can mean it's sometimes dearer than what Apple sell them sim free unlocked.

It's down to disposable income sometimes.

A person may be happier paying for the phone in interest free instalments (Refresh Tariff) than laying out £600+ in one go.

A matter of choice.
Message 3 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
and on some tariffs they are cheaper than buying directly from Apple, but at the end of the day it's the customers choice where they buy from and as long as the prices are clearly advertised there is no foul play, anywhere.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point about the refresh idea - and I get paying a premium for spreading the cost over 24 months ... but if you have the ability to buy it outright, why pay £629 at O2 when it is £539 at Apple.

I rmember the days when you used to get a discount on the handset for renewing your contract as an incentive to stay and reward loyalty.  Right now it looks like O2 could not be bothered if you drifted away.

So it seems the best thing is to shop around, get the best deal for device and best deal for the Service required.  We have gone from all phones and devices with O2 to SIM's from 3, EE, Voda and two with O2.

Mike 

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes shopping around is the key.

Homework on who's offering what and how good their signal is by checking it via payg SIM cards.

Loyalty is sadly a past event and as such O2 offer a Fair Deal Policy where both existing and new customers are supposed to be given the same deals.

However sometimes speaking to O2 Retentions can yield results in a reduction.

Or independents can pass on some of their spiff for opening up a contract from the Network into the customer.
Message 6 of 11

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I can only imagine its a decision to make a little bit of money. There more than aware that people get refresh tarrifs and pay them off asap, may as well make a little bit more quid to keep buisness going. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Research and make an informed choice. How much you are prepared to pay and from where is down to you to decide.

A simple search and you can browse the many other threads and cents about this....

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's how they get interest on a 0% interest deal!
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

You also had the option to buy it for the same 539.00 on O2 pay and go. You could use it with ur contract number and turn your contract number into sim only and get a better and cheaper  tariff, that would have been the option that would save you more money.:smileyhappy:

Message 10 of 11