cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

When travelling to Australia, I switch off data roaming and all cellular data, to prohibit charges.  Is there anything else I need to do?  I still get mail etc using the wifi wherever I stay.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

When travelling to Australia, I switch off data roaming and all cellular data, to prohibit charges.  Is there anything else I need to do?  I still get mail etc using the wifi wherever I stay.

Data is the most expensive aspect of roaming that needs to be controlled, so you've got that box ticked.

Just resist the temptation to make unnecessary phone calls, unless using Tugo whilst connected to WiFi and you should be able to keep costs within a reasonable amount.

Do make sure you have a PIN lock on your phone and SIM card though just in case you lose the phone as it could get expensive if it fell into the wrong hands.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Tips we give are to indeed to turn off Mobile Data in your phones settings which will stop any connection to Australia's Networks and use Wifi where and when you can.

Link to show charges if you use their Network -> http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

Also turn off voicemail before you leave the Uk by dialling 1760 from your mobile.

If your on Contract look at o2's Tugo to use on Wifi for calls and texts which will then come out of your allowances.

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

If on payg look at Skype, whatsapp , Viber and Facebook etc to use on wifi. Some have to be downloaded by the other parties to be able to contact each other.

Enjoy your trip. 😄
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Data is the most expensive aspect of roaming that needs to be controlled, so you've got that box ticked.

Just resist the temptation to make unnecessary phone calls, unless using Tugo whilst connected to WiFi and you should be able to keep costs within a reasonable amount.

Do make sure you have a PIN lock on your phone and SIM card though just in case you lose the phone as it could get expensive if it fell into the wrong hands.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

i used to think that, if you had a wi-fi connection - even when abroad - then no data charges would accrue.

apparently not.

4.42MB used in Cape Verde, using the free wi-fi.? certainyl sir, that will be £26.494

how do they get away with this?

that's defintiely me off elsewhere at the end of my contract.

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You had mobile data turned off too?
Mobile data can still be used even if connected to WiFi (a number of reasons why depending on the type of phone and settings), so to make sure mobile data should be off at all times.
Have O2 agreed to investigate the data usage at all?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, mobile data was off.

most of the time my phone was completely turned off too.

have no faith in Customer Services, since they were singuilarly unhelpful before when a call between my wife (another o2 customer) and I was not ended properly, resulting in me getting a £28 bill for ONE call  ...

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I remember that.....
Not been a good experience for you, has it 😞

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

so true.

however, I am now much better placed with regard to choosing my replacement provider, now that I have met the excellent folk at Bill Monitor ...

john

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Ah, well..... Good luck wink

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

To be honest I have lost a lot of  faith in o2 as a major telecom company....

Message 10 of 12