cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

the coverage checker used to show my area (LN25JZ) as a signal black spot saying it was only good outdoors this has now changed to read -

Voice, text and email (2G)

making calls, sending texts, using email on your phone.Good indoors and outdoors.

Mobile internet and voice (3G)

This frequency works on most phones and is good for fast networking on smartphones, dongles and tablets.

Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

Mobile Internet (4G)

Seamless connectivity and mobile Internet.

Good outdoors. OK indoors. Not good for mobile broadband.

what a joke, most of the time i cannot make or receive calls and when i can i get cut off after a very short time, some of the time i cannot even send a text message.

before taking out the contract i chatted via the online chat about the Tu go app and was told that i would be able to use it on my pc running windows vista .... WRONG it does not work with vista.

i have also used the online chat to enquire about my signal and i was told that a engineer would contact me ..... that was over six months ago and im still waiting.

and before anyone says that i should have tried other companies sim cards first i did and they were all bad, i contacted each provider and o2 was the only one that had the app to use my broadband and said they were working on the problem in my area. 

all i want is to make and receive calls.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

The coverage checker is known to not be that accurate. It's only a general estimate of what your signal should be. If after checking other sims and O2 was the best of a bad lot, what other choice did you have?

Your second mistake was using online chat and believing anything they told you. You only have to search this forum to see all the misinformation they give out and errors they make.

What phone do you have? Can you use the TuGo app with your phone over WiFi?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi jeff_uk01

Welcome to the forum.

O2 does have Network Future Plans as per this link -> http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing which is reported to improve their network.

Yes it's a tip to check other Networks via their payg which typically helps with trying to not have this issue.

Other tips here -> http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

Have you recently checked the other Networks as they may have improved since you last did. Then if your on the Refresh Tariff you could pay up the Handset Plan and migrate.

As your experiencing these issues and the masts are showing as you state , then download the MYNETWORK App to report them and speak to Customer Services on 202. Are any others in your area having the same issues in O2 and if so ask them to report the masts too.

Live Chat are typically ok for low level general enquiries.

Does the issue only happen at home ? If not think about a sim swap which any O2 shop can do for you.

Try your sim in another phone as a process of elimination.

O2 have been known to give a goodwill gesture for prolonged issues.

I hope things come good for you one way or another.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Probably nothing you can do except hold on for the network upgrades to be completed and hope that you will receive a better signal then......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Given that none of the networks are great in your area you really have just a couple of solutions:

O2 have TuGo. This gives you the facility to make calls and send texts over wifi. You can also receive calls and texts over wifi. (Note texts go into the TuGo app and not into the device stock app for sms so you would need to check in there). TuGo does have its problems but it is getting better.

EE: Are shortly to release their own equivalent of TuGo.

Three: Same as EE

Vodafone offer the Sure Signal box which plus into an ethernet port in your broadband modem and connects via the Internet to make and receive calls (and use data but to be honest I would use wifi).

The Government are investing £150m in shared masts in rural not spot areas. I don't know your postcode so don't know if it will qualify. Networks are then able to provide archive by putting their cells on the shared masts that without Government intervention wouldn't be commercially viable.

Finally One question. Is there fibre broadband in your area? It would appear some of the 4g upgrade planning is following the fibre network upgrade as without fibre backhaul the networks can't handle the traffic.

Hope this helps
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a HTC one, i do use the TUGO app only problem with the app is incoming calls still come in via the network and i answer the call and then get cut off and have to call them back usin TUGO.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

my postcode is LN25JZ, we have had fibre broadband for many years now, i have just been on the phone to o2 network services and they have told me that i do live in a signal blackspot, the guy did look into boosting the signal but the mast is turned up to max, the only thing he could surgest was to turn my phone to use 2G only.

Message 7 of 7