cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bristol 4g

Anonymous
Not applicable

can anyone tell me when 4g network is coming to Bristol area we are still waiting? 

Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous O2/Vodafone's 4G launch has been silly really. It's just been Northern & London. Only now are we seeing 4G along the South Coast, but that's not for big populated cities like Bristol! 4G will not be here anytime soon. 

Vodafone & O2 seem to be launching 4G together. If you go onto Vodafone's coverage checker, it says there is no 4G work planned in Bristol in the next 3 months. 😞

Message 51 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely agree @Anonymous hence my woeful comment earlier. If you look across the South West I'm afraid 4g is non existent. It does look as though they are working along the South Coast.

That said Swindon and the surrounds has been done and it is pushing across towards Bristol. I wouldn't rely on the Vodafone Network Status for reliability.

You are also correct that o2 and Vodafone are doing both at the same time. The engineers moved to Cornerstone.

I would be happy to have 3g at home but instead i get a poor 2g signal with no data.
Message 52 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gone to Three now anyway.

For the same price I was paying on O2 Sim Only, I can now get unlimited data on Three.

In Bristol, their 4G is quick and they're covering the city more and more. Plus I manage to get download speeds of 27Mbps on 3G - yes, 3G!! Meanwhile, it's only 3Mbps on O2 3G.

Three allow you to use your phone abroad at no extra cost - in places like France, Italy, and USA, they've been voted no.1 network for the iPhone, and unlike O2, they'll never increase the price of your tariff during your contract.

I went to Box Hill, Wiltshire recently for some photography work. I took an O2 sim card for back-up because apparently "Three are bad in the countryside". Guess what... GPRS on O2, and 25Mbps 3G download speeds on Three.

O2 will be losing customers! I blame Telefónica.

Message 53 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
At the moment @Anonymous Three are fine where i work and in the towns but here in the South West Three also have work to do bit i think they will be here long before the rest.

Sadly though Three is non existent at my home otherwise i would have gone.
Message 54 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning to those in the Bristol area.

I have it on good authority that when o2 finish in the Bournemouth and Poole area they are moving on to:

Bristol
Cardiff
Newport
Swansea.

Happy Days if you live in those areas
Message 55 of 71

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Be grateful @jonsie

1. This is not a post about ruddy iPhone
2. O2 are doing your rollout
3. Vodafone are doing the South
4. There is more 4g up north than south
Message 57 of 71

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I had great hopes with the mast keep going down and the constant repairs showing on the status page but still only 3G. Last work on the mast was the 17th. Thee annoying thing is that 4g is available 2 miles from my home in a small village in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure whose mast it is but the giffgaff sim picks it up....whilst at home 3G is very poor.

Roll on the Note 4 and EE wink

Message 58 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 = DISAPPOINTMENT
Message 59 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable

4G IS COMING TO BRISTOL WITHIN 3 MONTHS

Yes! You've read that correctly! Woooo! Neither O2 nor Vodafone have published any kind of press release about this, but if you don't know...

Vodafone & O2 are sharing their masts in some areas for 4G. Not sharing networks... just basically sharing the stand that the antennas are on. 

So, this means they are launching 4G together - like we've seen in Cardiff. 

Vodafone updates it's network coverage checker - vodafone.co.uk/coverage - every Thursday. They are the only network to show "Planned Coverage". This shows expected coverage within 3 months. O2 & Vodafone have recently launched 4G in parts of Cardiff, but, you were able to find this out before they did by viewing Vodafone's coverage checker. 

So the good news? On Thursday when Vodafone updated it's coverage checker, it's now showing a few areas of Bristol under "Planned". The following areas will have 4G coverage within the next 3 months:

• Avonmouth, Bristol
  • Lawrence Weston, Bristol
  • Parts of M49 motorway
  • Winterbourne, South Gloucestershire/Bristol
  • Parts of Bradley Stoke & Stoke Gifford, Bristol.

...and the good news? This also means O2 4G coverage WILL be here.

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 19.59.24.png

To confirm this, if you go to O2's Network Service Status website - status.o2.co.uk, and type in one of Vodafone's planned 4G coverage areas, such as "Avonmouth, Bristol" you'll see the following message...

"Our Network modernisation programme to improve 2G and 3G coverage and roll out 4G has reached this area. It does mean that you may experience intermittent service on your mobile device while our engineers 'do their thing'."

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 19.58.15.png

To also confirm this... O2 have a mast in Cadbury Heath, Bristol. After walking past it, I've noticed work has been carried out by "Vodafone Ltd.". They've dug around it, and are putting a new box in - I'm guessing this is to house the 4G system.

For anyone from Cardiff wondering, the next 4G areas of Cardiff will be; Gabalfa, Llandaff, Cathays, and more central areas such as Cardiff Castle. 

Message 60 of 71