Did you mean: 

Windows Update Problems

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hi all,

I just thought I would share this with you all as it helped me and I hope it will help even one of you to save you numerous Google searches.

My sister had a problem with her laptop whereby it wasn't downloading the updates - it would be stuck on 0% for over an hour.

I went on Google to find a solution and I found the Microsoft Fix It Tool on the Mucrosoft website.  It was supposed to help detect an issue with the update program and download any missing files.

9 times out of 10 this 'Fix It' would not work because it said that the software on the laptop wasn't supported - the laptop was running Windows 8.1 64bit and I did the same 'Fix It' a few months ago on my laptop.

I went on various websites to find an answer.  Some suggested going in to the registry but like all non-technologically advanced people with common sense I didn't feel comfortable doing it.

I then found a helpful link - it says if you swipe the screen, click search, type in 'troubleshooting' and then click on the option to allow windows to search and fix for issues.  It took less than 5 minutes and now all of the updates are working.  Only 95 updates to do.......  Crazy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I'm avoiding Windows 8.1 as the whole update procedure seems to be it works or you screwed with very little recovery options. The last time, I let Windows update itself it screwed up and it took about 2 hours to restore it without losing any files.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 5

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I am wary of it myself.

I do not have much faith in Microsoft/Windows for help. 

I remember contacting them a few months ago about an issue that I had and I waited a week for a response and it was just a generic one that was not helpful at all.  When I queried their reply, they simply said I had to do a whole new message thread.  Upon doing this they sent me a link to a solution (which would not work) and they have ignored my messages since then 😞

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I updated from 8 to 8.1 yesterday all is ok I had to reload my printer drivers but apart from that everything works as it should
Message 4 of 5

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I've updated to Windows 8.1 now.  I had a few issues with my security (AVG) because it kept saying it needed to update so it was compatible, but it took about 5 attempts to get it to work again. 

Up to now it is running well.  My only little issue is that the icons in the taskbar as a lot smaller - is it possible to make them bigger?

Message 5 of 5