cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

So tomorrow is the big day - windows 10 rolls out!

Microsoft will release it at midnight ET - which is 5am BST.

However, don't expect to get it tomorrow - Microsoft are carefully managing the updates as obviously the demand will be huge - I, like others have 'reserved' my upgrade via the little app they popped onto my laptop.

Another interesting aspect of Windows 10 is that this is the way the updates are applied has changed. Updates will happen on a regular basis and for most users of windows 10 are mandatory, the idea being Microsoft want all users on all devices running the same software.

Having read some reviews I am quite excited by the update - I suppose time will tell if there are some hidden technical issue timebombs!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've reserved an update for my laptop but have left the PC alone on Win7 for the moment to see how it works out.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 27

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

I'll be eager to hear everyone's thoughts on the update @Anonymous

Let us know how you get on.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 27

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If I do decide to upgrade from Windows 7 on my laptop and desktop, I will probably do it 364 days from now. When has Microsoft ever released a major update without there being bugs and glitches? I don't particularly like the idea of giving Microsoft total control over when I install an update. How many times have there been problems in the past when simple updates have caused havoc?

Be an early upgrader at your peril. Me? I'm waiting....and waiting....and waiting.....

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

If I do decide to upgrade from Windows 7 on my laptop and desktop, I will probably do it 364 days from now. When has Microsoft ever released a major update without there being bugs and glitches? I don't particularly like the idea of giving Microsoft total control over when I install an update. How many times have there been problems in the past when simple updates have caused havoc?

Be an early upgrader at your peril. Me? I'm waiting....and waiting....and waiting.....

I think because of the cross platform implications a lot of work has gone into testing this beast - but you never know! 

Message 5 of 27

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

No, you never do know, and Microsoft's track record when it comes to updates is less than stellar. They've also never done an update as big as this one, so I think the prudent thing to do is wait and see how it goes. Let the people who have been testing it in beta take the brunt of the initial problems. I wouldn't go near any early update for any OS, but even moreso when it comes to this one.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Situation in this household is ....my husband will get the update tomorrow he already has the latest Win 8 on his computer. On the other hand I have Windows 7 on my laptop and will be staying with that for as long as possible. Let him iron out the bugs and fixes...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 27

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I've reserved it on two laptops but will only try it out on the one I use least. Looking forward to trying this out and I hope it's already had extensive testing.

Message 8 of 27

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm sure I will eventually do the update, but I will wait until the very last minute to do it. I will be interested to hear your opinion of the new OS @jonsie and also what your husband thinks of it @Cleoriff.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I will report back @Bambino....I can tell you now it took him a few weeks to get used to Windows 8. Now he loves it......I am pretty much expecting the same sort of reaction with 10 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 27