cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no partnership deals with US companies?

Mezzomama
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am generally happy with the service I've had from O2, and the billing for travel in Europe is ok. But I travel to the US for family visits about every other year, and I am not happy with the absence of a low-csot way of using my phone while there. I'm not making or receiving business calls from the UK, I'm just phoning or texting family members in the US to make arrangements, let them know where I am and so forth, and accessing local information.

Years ago, before I had a smart phone, and I think with a different network, I was able to use a partner network while in the US. This was not perfect, as the local coverage wasn't very good. The last time I travelled, I bought a cheap sim in the US and installed it with a bit of difficulty, but again local coverage was ok in one area, not so good in another but ok for texting. This also tends to take a good part of a day, which is not what you want during a visit. But it looks as though my only real option for this visit is to buy a sim from one of the big US networks, who at least have an outlet near where I am staying.

Yes, I know about Tu Go, but that can eat data and needs wifi. At least I can use it and a messaging app until I get a sim, so long as there's wifi where I am.

But wouldn't it be easier if O2 had partnership deals with networks outside Europe? Or if there was some kind of international standard, at least among the bigger companies, that would cover local calls and texts for travellers?  I would be willing to pay a small charge to access something like that. 

Am I the only one?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Mezzomama wrote:

When I tried to order through Amazon, none of the offers I tried shipped to the UK. Believe me, I have spent a few hours, including online helps, trying to get something set up. 

You tried the .co.uk Amazon site and they wouldn't ship to you in the UK?

I wouldn't go for a sim from a convenience store in the US. You get what you pay for.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I use the Amazon. com site quite a lot....I get early book releases before they are available anywhere....They ship anything and are excellent with  delivery times...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I hadn't thought of using the .com site - that's worth remembering slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 21

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Using the .com site can work out more expensive, as you're more likely to have to pay for shipping to the UK. If you're a Prime member here it doesn't extend to the US site. I use the .com site when I travel to the US, as I have a US address as well.

I've looked on the .co.uk site and there are different pre-pay sims you can buy for use in the US. AT&T, T-Mobile, plus a few I haven't heard of that would probably need some research before buying. I don't really understand why the OP has had problems?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Indeed that may be the case @Bambino depending on what you buy/need/want etc. As I said I have used Amazon.com site for books and even with shipping they work out cheaper than here in the UK...The added bonus, I get them before they are published in the UK.....I have also bought some designer jewellery from there I wanted it...the UK site didn't stock it ...so it was worth the additional postage.

Having said all of the above...it wouldn't be worth it for a sim....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 21

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I take your point, @Cleoriff. If it works out cheaper than buying it here, or you can get it before you can get it here, then by all means you should go for it. I've found, on the odd occassion, that some items are actually cheaper here, even with the VAT, but those times are rare. I've never actually bought anything on the US site to be sent to the UK. How do they work out the tax?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I've never actually bought anything on the US site to be sent to the UK. How do they work out the tax?

I have absolutely no idea @Bambino. The last thing I bought was jewellery as a gift. I know the price I paid was the one advertised...so I didn't look at the breakdown of costs on the receipt in all honesty slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 21

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I know we've strayed off topic, @Cleoriff, but you could check your purchase history. I'm just curious. So do you have separate US and UK Amazon accounts?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I know we've strayed off topic, @Cleoriff, but you could check your purchase history. I'm just curious. So do you have separate US and UK Amazon accounts?

I sign into UK and US sites with the same log on details. Each one recognises me and comes up with Hi 'D'. I have been an Amazon customer for years and years......so the set up is similar....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 21

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

UPDATE: typing yesterday's note made me look more closely at the settings. Preferred network type is correct on LTE.  By changing the Access point names from ATT WAP to Att HSPA,  I can at least get 3G.

Other forums confirm my post above - whether you get 4G /LTE depends on the local cell tower and whether it broadcasts on a uk-compatible frequency.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 20 of 21