cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I stand? O2 have lost my iphone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, can someone please give me an idea of where I stand?

I took out a contract for an iphone 6S with O2 in January. I also opted for the £6 per month Accidental Damage Insurance, which covers for broken screens and water damage I believe.

At the start of the month, whilst on holiday, I dropped my phone. The damage to it was minor, about 4 cracks on the screen, but knowing that I had the Accidental Damage Insurance, I decided to make a claim.

I did this on the 5th September, 3 days after the incident.

As informed, DPD came and collected my iphone the following day on the 6th September, leaving me with proof of collection and a tracking number.

In the week that followed, I checked DPD's website everyday and called the O2 customer service team 2 times to query why my phone had not yet arrived with the insurance department. Each time I was informed that it was still within SLA and 'not to worry'.

On the Monday after that week, I called again as still no news or update on DPD's website. To be told that DPD had LOST my iphone and that an investigation had begun. The gentleman I spoke to that morning could give no idea of timescales as to when the matter would be resolved but informed me that if DPD had lost my phone for good, that O2 would give me a NEW iphone as a resolution.

Still having heard nothing, I called the following day and spoke with someone else who asked if I had the proof of collection for my iphone. (I had already informed the gentleman I spoke to the day before that I did indeed have this). Anyway, this girl said that if I could send this proof over in an email to them that they would be able to issue a replacement phone to me straight away.

When I sent this proof of collection, I also raised a formal complaint and said that I was NOT happy with a replacement phone when O2 had effectively lost mine in their care, and that I expected a new iphone to resolve this matter.

Oddly, around an hour after my complaint email, I received a text to say O2 had received my iphone and a claim acceptance email. Wondering what on earth was going on, I rang O2 again that evening to ask if my phone had now been found. I was informed at this point that my iphone had arrived. THIS WAS A LIE.

DPD informed me 48 hours after this that my iphone was still missing, according to them.

I received a replacement phone but have informed O2 on a number of occasions that I am unwilling to accept this as a long term resolution for my complaint - I pay £60 per month for my contract. They LOST my iphone and LIED about it - why should i be left with a 2nd hand phone?! Am I right?

I was told that my complaint would be investigated and that the replacement phone had been sent in the interim whilst my complaint was looked in to. This was 5 working days ago.

I have today chased this matter, having heard nothing again, and explained that I have not used the replacement iphone sent. I don't want to go to the hassle of downloading all my apps/saving all my contacts etc etc if this phone will need to go back to them.

I have now been told that O2 will not be retrieving this replacement phone?!

What does this mean?

Does anybody have any idea on where I stand in relation to the above, and whether O2 should be able to issue me a new iphone as a resolution for all of the above issues?

Surely I can't be expected to be satisfied with a 2nd hand replacement phone?

Thanks, scon92

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Terms and conditions mate, "the replacement may be new or from refurbished stock"
Sucks, but it's how it is
Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The T&C's for O2 insurance state that you will receive a refurbished phone, not a brand new one.
This is part of your agreement with them I'm afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Terms and conditions mate, "the replacement may be new or from refurbished stock"
Sucks, but it's how it is
Message 3 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://static.o2.co.uk/www/docs/termsandconditions/4539_O2CN1587N_Mobile_Damage_and_Breakdown_Cover_... page 6 explains the replacement you get

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even if they have lost mine?
Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Regardless.... It's at O2's insurer's discretion.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10162 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3010 Solutions
How do you know its a refurbished phone. When I got my iphone 6s plus repaired,i was sent a brand new handset, abeilt in a plan grey box but upon checking via https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/ and also

Using the handset serial number,expiry date, it turned out to be a less than 3weeks old 🙂 so worth double checking
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 7