cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will o2 stop leaving the isle of wight in the dark ages

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whilst there's talk of 4g coverage, the isle of wight remains on crappy 2g signal with next to no 3g cover. Reading other forums about 3g cover for other networks, and you actually get a response and a timeline, with o2 you just get a copied and pasted 'we have no plans to upgrade your masts in your area'
Absolutely pointless getting my iphone, a device that truely shines when it is connected to the internet. I sit here working at the front line and I can't receive my emails, the only way my place of work seems to communicate. It seems even 2g data is patchy at best, not to mention the endless problems trying to send mms messages I've been having.
December's a long time away but I'll be glad to finally retire from o2, having been a customer since they were btgenie, the only thing they seem committed to doing is leaving those in rural areas with subpar performance.

I did chuckle when our local store got their 3gs posters out advertising how fast 3g was, and yet were unable to show me it.
I confess to being an early adopter of technology, and when I got my iphone 4 out almost on release date, and had the rest of my work colleagues cooing over it like a new born, I'm glad that I influenced them to go with a better network and avoid putting money into this stagnated service.
woop woop, two weeks until the isle of wight festival, this means 3 days of not being able to make or receive phonecalls, thanks o2!
/rant
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is o2 3G coverage in Ryde and Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
There seemed to be 3G coverage in Newport for a little over a week leading up to the Isle of Wight Festival but has been turned off this morning by the looks of it, I can no longer get 3G where I have been for the past week or so. Did they upgrade the service just for the Festival?
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
There seemed to be 3G coverage in Newport for a little over a week leading up to the Isle of Wight Festival but has been turned off this morning by the looks of it, I can no longer get 3G where I have been for the past week or so. Did they upgrade the service just for the Festival?

It's very likely. Networks often put temporary cell sites in place for events that attract large crowds. Festivals are a good example.
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I treasured the sight of seeing 3G on my iPhone 4 on the week leading upto the Festival. During the festival itself (in Newport anyway) I couldn't send texts or use the internet.
Since the festival I've had trouble with GPRS data despite having full signal in most places I've tried. As I type this, I'm unable to look at Facebook without using WiFi.
Yesterday, annoyingly, my work phone (on Orange) had 2 bars of signal and was reasonably quick using apps that required an internet connection.
It seems silly selling smartphones down here (unless you live in Ryde or Cowes) as the idea of having mobile internet isn't exactly easy unless your in a building with free WiFi.
Maybe a change to Orange or Voda next year.
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, the phone was a pleasure to use during that week. We had a few days last week of intermittent signal dropping in Newport, to which a service check showed nothing at fault, and now that's repaired itself the same problem with the internent hanging over GPRS leaving me furiated at having an all singing all dancing phone without the network to match.
I've referred many people to orange, even their GPRS is quicker than O2s, which doesn't say much given the speed of it. I shall continue to steer friends and family over to other networks. In my tens years of owning a contact with O2 I've not seen any improvement to network and not even a shimmer of hope in the near future of a
3G in anywhere other than Ryde or Cowes.
By the way, not that I'm endorsed by orange, If you're an NHS Worker, you're entitled to a 25% discount off phones and contract, even for the iphone, it blows any other deal out the water. It will be interesting how long this post will last before it's taken down and I'm given a warning/ban with no other information given about the future of the ailing 2G network over here
Message 6 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
There's no reason why your posts should be taken down, as you've put a very reasonable argument, using moderate language.
I'm puzzled though as to why you would stay with them for 10 years, if the service in your area would be any better from another network, as I surely wouldn't.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been with them for ten years because up until me getting an iPhone, mobile Internet or WAP as it was at the time was barely usable.
Message 8 of 17

BubWright
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
and 2 years later. THIS IS STILL AN ISSUE!!

i got a nice new galaxy s3 expecting to use my mobile data. but oh no, its so slow i cant even load webpages lol

i get 3g in shanklin. newports and ryde. yet when i put a 3 simcard in my phone. i get 3g right away
Message 9 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Strange you stayed with O2 if the signal is so bad, I would have moved to 3.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 17