cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When 3 take over o2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.
just having a beer after work in the beer garden and got to wondering when 3 take over o2 how do they "unlock " your mobile phone so it can receive the 3 signal?
do they change the signal code somehow so your phone knows?
BT will do the same with ee too in time.
I think I should get out more! Lol
cheers
Tb
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Heres a good thread by @Bambino for you to look over, the deal won't be complete for at least a year

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Three-Buys-O2/m-p/862733
Message 2 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's all back door stuff - your phone won't change at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Example for you when O2 started all that changed was the name on people's mobile screens from btcellnet to O2-UK
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys!
looking forward as am in a rural spot with limited 2g never mind 3 and 4g !
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 strange thing is all that stuff is back door and will allow you to use a 3 simcard in your existing phone but to do that now / previously  (without the change over) we have to request a unlock code and manual enter it e.c.t.

So technically speaking shouldnt that process be able to be back door aswell? 

Ik it's probly more complex but idk

Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ya, is it a software thing ?
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous it will all be done in due course, do not get your knickers in a twist about a deal that is yet to be fully ratified
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not really getting in a twist, just asking a tech question about how they carriers switch the signal so the phone can receive it.
Message 9 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 strange thing is all that stuff is back door and will allow you to use a 3 simcard in your existing phone but to do that now / previously  (without the change over) we have to request a unlock code and manual enter it e.c.t.

So technically speaking shouldnt that process be able to be back door aswell? 

Ik it's probly more complex but idk

Any operator can make a change on their servers to allow any sim to be used on any network - Just like when you are roaming abroad for example.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 21