cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When 3 take over o2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.
just having a beer after work in the beer garden and got to wondering when 3 take over o2 how do they "unlock " your mobile phone so it can receive the 3 signal?
do they change the signal code somehow so your phone knows?
BT will do the same with ee too in time.
I think I should get out more! Lol
cheers
Tb
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I have stopped wondering how these things are going to work if honest. Apparently it all has to be approved by the the Regulatory Bodies and that could take up to 12 months..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wow all I did was ask a question what bit you? If I've done something wrong u can pm me u know I want to get on with everyone here.

@MI5 thanks thats a bit of desent information slight_smile so they can't do it individualy it's either everyone or no1?

Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ya thanks MI5 just the answer I was looking for
t b
Message 13 of 21

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 thanks thats a bit of desent information slight_smile so they can't do it individualy it's either everyone or no1?

Yeah they could do it by phone number but there'd be no point. It will just be a blanket change for everyone on Three and O2 and they will both be able to use all the masts once the change happens.

At first you will get a full signal everywhere but as they go through and rationalise the masts this will even out.

I was with Orange when they all merged into EE and at first the signal was blowing my doors off everywhere but then in some places they screwed up and took out too many masts.

Many have been replaced again now so hopefully Three won't make the same mistake......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool thanks @MI5 slight_smile ur information is limitless lol

Message 15 of 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I'm curious as to what will happen to the masts that O2 now share with Vodafone. I would think that Three would want to keep that agreement going.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 21

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yes Bambino good point.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting to note this is happening in the uk. i'm in ireland (roi) and its already happened, with all the o2 shops here now gone, and 3 in its place. 

all that has really changed, is the network name has changed from o2.ie to 3 on my phone. network at the mo is the same, its not fully merged, though we're told come june o2.ie customers will get 4G (which we don't have yet, o2 never got that far here) so i guess that is when 3 are planning to merge networks. unfortunately at the mo we can't even switch to a 3 tarrif if we want to - stuck with o2 renamed tarrifs, just stuck 3 in front.

one good thing is, i contacted 3 customer care and they unlocked my iphone 5s from o2 without any questions and i'm still in a 24 mth contract! so i will be able to put a three sim in if i want

lastly the good news for us, is our customer services haven't switched to india, they've kept our irish call centres! hopefully they'll do simular things in the uk slight_smile though i'm waiting for feel like home to make it here like in uk!

hope that helps with the rumours - but yes it's not going to be for at least 12 months or more till it gets approved if it does.

Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is good to know @Anonymous
Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Thanks for the insight slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 20 of 21