Did you mean: 

What phone should I get?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I currently use an iPhone 6 and I'm eager to leave the world of Apple behind (its been a fair few years!) and enter the world of Android. All of the comments here on the community, as well as from my friends have convinced me that its a better fit. I've stick with Apple because of the music I have purchased through them, but I want to customise my device in many more ways and want to free up my ability to use music in more easily. 

I'm liking the look of the Sony Xperia Z5 or the LG G4, but wanted to hear from you on what you'd recommend and why. You guys know more about this stuff than me!

I need:

- Easy navigation

- Storage freedom (e.g. SD card access if possible)

- Sturdy physical design (I'm a chronic dropper)

However, I'm quite open to suggestions, so if you have a good one, do let me know below slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

You already have one @Toby wink

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Toby wrote:

Any devices you wouldn't recommend guys? Why not?

Zipped Popcorn

Hahaha, I expected this response grin

Any Androids though?

Avoid the low end / low spec android devices as they are just nasty.

If you stick with a premium model from any manufacturer you won't be disappointed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 54

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

HTC devices are known to be slow & not very responsive or user friendly

I had an original Desire and the Sensation XE - both very good phones (at the time).

Not sure how the more recent ones fare though - I do know someone who had the original One M8 and he had no end of problems....

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 32 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmarkj wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

HTC devices are known to be slow & not very responsive or user friendly

I had an original Desire and the Sensation XE - both very good phones (at the time).

Not sure how the more recent ones fare though - I do know someone who had the original One M8 and he had no end of problems....

Yes someone I know had the One X & from the first month they were having problems, was repaired several times before getting a replacement & then after a while that became faulty

Message 33 of 54

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 34 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

You're never going to know if a phone suits you until you use it, and most places, not even CPW, I don't believe, have working models. You can go in and be tactile with a phone you're interested in. The problem is they're all tethered for security, so you can't get a true feel. That's about it, but I think it's worthwhile doing that if you can.

It's certainly true in the case of CPW, and I remember how cheap and nasty the Lumia 950 display model looked on the shelf. But I was able to play with a working handset in my local O2 shop, which was enough to dispel any doubts that I might have had about build quality and performance. One thing to consider when browsing in shops though, is that they usually turn the display brightness up to 100% to ensure the display looks at its best, which can be misleading if you're trying to draw comparisons with your current handset.

Message 35 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've no experience of them, but the OnePlus 2 has quite a following, and for the money the specifications are really impressive.

Edit: you might want to read their forums to see what owners have to say about technical support etc.

Message 36 of 54

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
chap at work has got one and he is very impressed.

only thing that puts me off is screen resolution as they are 1080 rather than qHD

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 37 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmarkj wrote:
chap at work has got one and he is very impressed.

only thing that puts me off is screen resolution as they are 1080 rather than qHD

I think nowadays that's one compromise I wouldn't be prepared to make, as displays are getting better all the time. But I suppose it's a question of getting the right balance between quality and affordability, and you do still get a lot of bang for your buck.

Message 38 of 54

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

I currently use an iPhone 6 and I'm eager to leave the world of Apple behind (its been a fair few years!) and enter the world of Android. All of the comments here on the community, as well as from my friends have convinced me that its a better fit. I've stick with Apple because of the music I have purchased through them, but I want to customise my device in many more ways and want to free up my ability to use music in more easily. 

I'm liking the look of the Sony Xperia Z5 or the LG G4, but wanted to hear from you on what you'd recommend and why. You guys know more about this stuff than me!

I need:

- Easy navigation

- Storage freedom (e.g. SD card access if possible)

- Sturdy physical design (I'm a chronic dropper)

However, I'm quite open to suggestions, so if you have a good one, do let me know below slight_smile

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/sony/xperia-z3/

For the price, it's mental.

Support for all audio formats along with hi-res headphone support from the jack without need for DAC.

Pretty damn good camera (it can focus on the iss)

PlayStation remote play from anywhere in world.

Kicks the crap out of iPhone in all fields (according to an ifan page I don't remember)

Survived an 8ft droptest 

Message 39 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to see you're making the switch to android Toby. Best decision I've done and I was an iPhone user for a number of years slight_smile

Message 40 of 54