Did you mean: 

Upcoming design additions

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, how’s your day going?

One of the things we have been working on is a promo image slot that is going to be placed at the top of the forum thread pages soon. We have some options to choose from that I’d like to get your input on before we push any of the configurations live. Cat Happy

You can see illustrative screenshots of the two design options below. We will either have 2 images or just one longer banner displayed. These will be especially for the benefit of new members who are just joining, and to optimise traffic and awareness to different parts of the site. Bear in mind that the images in the screenshots below are just examples and we will be working on the exact content soon.

So I would like to get your views on the following options:

• 2 smaller images or just one elongated image, at the top of the thread pages (see screenshots below)
  • Visible for all users on the forum, or if you have objections (please elaborate), then it can be made visible for only non-logged in users.

Looking forward to seeing your input and which option you prefer seeing. slight_smile

Cheers all and have a great weekend!

Marjo

Design option 1: 2 image links at the top of the thread page

Community Promo design 2

Design option 2: one elongated image link at the top of the thread page

Community Promo design 2

Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Marjo

I like how it is now but if had to choose then Option 2.

Message 2 of 70

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Option 1 for me but please consider how much space it will take up on a mobile phone screen.
Maybe if it was only displayed until you logged in it would be better?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 70

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't see the need for a change but option 2
Message 5 of 70

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Preferably neither, else option 2 hidden when logged in.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 70

Anonymous
Not applicable

My immediate reaction was "Is this a joke?"    Are we really to believe that a decision as to whether to have 1 or 2 images placed ona webpage is of such importance that it requires such "consultation"?  

If the change is for the benefit of newcomers, then in my view there are things that need to be attended to other than images.   It may just be my perception but lately I have noticed three things that I think would probably deter rather than attract  newcomers.:-

(a)  there is an evident cliqueiness (Not sure if that is a proper word but I think the more intelligent reader will know what is meant) developing;

(b)  the internecine warfare between "Apple" fanatics and the rest of the fruit basket has frankly become boring and off-putting. It is no longer amusing and  I am sad to say i feel that the Community could do with a bit more active moderation to keep a tighter rein on things;

(3) There are a couple of Off Topic Boards that in my view have outlived their usefulness (if this Community wants to be seen as a vital, sensible and reliable resource for those who encounter problems using the ever more complex phones etc that are in common use.

I am sorry if this message is seen as negative - my intention is not carping criticism but rather a hope and expectation that the Community can get back to what it does well.

Gerry 

Message 7 of 70

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Good points @Anonymous and hopefully the admin team will take this on board. We are all guilty of this, some more than others, just having to have a say in every thread whether the comment contributes or not. This is something that has spiralled over the months and new members have to wade through it all to pick out the helpful posts. Someone mentioned a google search would assist people looking for answers after they posted information that didn't help but people won't want to read all the irrelevant garbage to get there.

Message 8 of 70

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

My problems are as follows .

* Why have a new design when we are still having problems with the old one? (for instance the Search box at the top right hand corner is worse than useless in my opinion)

* The more space we take up with new boxes at the top of the forum the less space there are for posts (or     existing boxes will become cramped and unreadable)

* One of my biggest gripes is not being able to see Unread Discussions until I sign in...

* I would want more clarification on what constitutes Off Topic or Discussions..

* Finally the way this forum has allowed new Apple threads to spring up all over the place is nothing short of disgraceful in my opinion. There has been little or no moderation or control of this.

It is as if moderators have been happy/delighted to see the frenzy that has been allowed to run unchecked.

I would go as far as saying ...this would not be allowed for any other phone on pre-order day...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 70

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Point A :

Can you explain further ?

Point B :

I did start a thread many moons ago which was a friendly banter only thread which myself and MI5 along with others had fun in.

You are correct that when certain topic material is raised now it can all too often stray into a 'Vs' match which I agree has become mundane. Many as I am are 'guilty as charged' with this ,and I for one now say that for me anytime the thread starts to waver this way I'll simply say "it's a phone" ,and stop there as not to drive up that threads post count and kudos from others agreeing or disagreeing. wink

Point 3,

What do you mean in regards to "There are a couple of Off Topic Boards that in my view have outlived their usefulness" ?

It has been agreed that the MAIN Off Topic Board as by it's nature of it's name is the place for News and Tech News as well as chat topics. This was agreed so the main boards set up for people asking for help and advice are not overwhelmed by the topics I've mentioned above.

Every forum has Off Topic Boards and or Lounge Areas in order for the forum to also act as a Community. Another reason why the Virtual Lounge and Wanty's Bar have been created by other members. However these are heavily frequented by regular members and as such any new member may not be confident in posting there so the Off Topic Board allows posts.

Not everyone is as technically minded and as such may not interact and engage in the main boards so Off Topic allows those and others to relax and engage in other ways.

People have very strong options on what a forum is for.
I support both opinions and as everyone knows I love to engage in any reasonable topic.

This can irk some but I'm sure they all know I'm harmless.
Message 10 of 70