cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking my phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to be running round in circles at the moment trying to unlock my phone.

I sent in the form (android phone 18 months into 2 year contract) and got a mailed reply saying it's not an O2 phone. (And also giving me an email address to reply which apparently doesn't work any more - not really part of the problem except it's very unprofessional).

I paid O2 a hefty sum at the beginning of my contract & am paying them monthly for the contract & phone. How is it not an O2 phone? Or am I missing something obvious :s

TIA to anyone with ideas.

Message 1 of 48
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144072 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
If it came from CPW (not one of their online outlets like mobiles.co.uk) it will be unlocked already, so no need for an unlock code.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

MI5
  • 144072 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Call CS on 202 and discuss it with a real person.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

No reason why this shouldn't unlock? Android....18 months old....seems a bit weird to me.. if as you say you bought it direct from O2...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get the phone directly from O2 or Carphone warehouse?

Message 4 of 48

MI5
  • 144072 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Makes no difference. If the phone is locked to o2 they are legally obliged to unlock it - OFCOM rules.....

Currently using:
Message 5 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh ... I got it from Carphone Warehouse but I pay O2. That could explain it. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 6 of 48

MI5
  • 144072 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
If it came from CPW (not one of their online outlets like mobiles.co.uk) it will be unlocked already, so no need for an unlock code.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Makes no difference. If the phone is locked too2 they are legally obliged to unlock it -OFCOM rules.....

It does make a difference and that is why it got declined. CPW mobiles lock to the first sim card/network used so chances are that it will be locked,but all you need to do is contact them and request the code. Hope this helps slight_smile

As for Ofcom rules:

Handset locking policies can differ from provider to provider or can depend on the type of device and package being sold to you.

The table below gives you advice on what you can expect if you purchase a handset directly from your mobile provider.

Message 8 of 48

jonsie
  • 93154 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

MI5
  • 144072 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
Makes no difference. If the phone is locked too2 they are legally obliged to unlock it -OFCOM rules.....

It does make a difference and that is why it got declined. CPW mobiles lock to the first sim card/network used so chances are that it will be locked,but all you need to do is contact them and request the code. Hope this helps slight_smile 

That only applies to iPhones and I belive we are talking android here, which, as I said already, are not locked if bought directly from CPW.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 48