cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking my lumia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

How can I unlock my lumia 620 phone, so I can use it abroad on the holidays with a different sim card to avoid crazy bills ? 😕 I'm using O2 PAYG 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I didn't think I'd be updating so soon but back office support have provided me with a 20 digit unlock code the same day it was requested, very impressive.

Instructions provided said to insert the invalid SIM, start phone as normal, when invalid SIM is detected phone will request unlock code, enter code and job done. However .....

I inserted Manx SIM and started phone, got the O2 splash screen (O2 firmware tell tale sign I assume) and the phone completed started up (I had to select Manx PAYG on Access Point) and it was good to go. I didn't have to enter the unlock code at any stage and I was able to make/receive calls and texts so it must be a case of the phone wasn't locked in the first place.

I never tried the Manx SIM previously as the guy I bought it off said it was probably locked to O2 and when I seen the O2 splash screen I was sure it would be. I didn't want to change SIMs frequently and unnecessarily as the SIM tray strikes me as being a bit flimsy and I'd previously bought a used 925 which didn't recognise any SIMs!

So rather embarrassingly then it would appear to be job done.

Thanks.

<thinks> Would back office support not have been able to tell me the phone was unlocked rather then sending an unlock code?

Message 11 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Indeed it was one that was never locked in the first place but no one would know until another sim was inserted....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 12