cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking my lumia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

How can I unlock my lumia 620 phone, so I can use it abroad on the holidays with a different sim card to avoid crazy bills ? 😕 I'm using O2 PAYG 

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It doesn't usually take 10 days, it is usually a bit quicker, but to answer your question, the request has to go to Nokia for the unlock code so the time for them to respond has to be factored in, whereas O2 have a live database for the iPhone so it can be done without the "middle man".
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You should be able to unlock it for £15 taken from your credit:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does it take only 3 days to get the unlocking code for an iphone and 10 days for the other phones ? That's quite a long time to wait 😕

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It doesn't usually take 10 days, it is usually a bit quicker, but to answer your question, the request has to go to Nokia for the unlock code so the time for them to respond has to be factored in, whereas O2 have a live database for the iPhone so it can be done without the "middle man".
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Why does it take only 3 days to get the unlocking code for an iphone and 10 days for the other phones ? That's quite a long time to wait 😕

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but rather than start a new one this seemed suitable. I've just requested an unlock code for my Lumia 925, at the end of the online process it says 28 days, 14 for an iphone.

Anyhow another question while I wait. I'm not altogether sure but I believe the unlock process involves inserting a SIM from a non O2 network into the locked phone and then inputting the unlock code supplied by email when prompted? The only non O2 micro SIM I have easy access to is from Manx Telecom (Treated as foreign in th UK Telecom charges world) Like UK SIMs it does however begin +44 (7624 xxxxxx) Will this one be ok for unlocking or will I need a proper UK network SIM?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It should work OK, but if not someone on the mainland could maybe send you an alternative UK one.....

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It should work OK, but if not someone on the mainland could maybe send you an alternative UK one.....

Thanks MI5, I'm from Northern Ireland and the Manx SIM is the only reason I need to unlock the phone (I use it for 3 weeks of the year when I'm at TT/ManxGP races) All of my family and most of my friends are on O2, if I really needed to I could make the effort of tracking down a different micro SIM but it'd be easier if I could just use the Manx. If there's no danger of bricking the phone I'll give it a try when I get the code.

BTW do you know if the unlock process is to insert wrong SIM and insert code when prompted?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

It won't brick it - worst thing that can happen is that it won't work, but will not do any permanent damage.
Just put the Manx sim in and start the phone and you should be prompted to enter "A Network Unlock Code" or similar text.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Come back and let us know how you get on tullyhubbert slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 12

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm going to try with the Manx SIM when I get the unlock code. I'll update then.
Message 10 of 12