Did you mean: 

Time to change password ?

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36764548

just a heads up perhaps now is a good time to change o2 account password .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 should be informing customers about this. People need to know if their info has been stolen

Message 11 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144189 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
In this case, it hasn't been stolen from O2 though, so they wouldn't know.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 19

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The BBC say : All the O2 account holders whose details the BBC has seen have been informed, with many saying they had used the same login for other online accounts.

O2 say : We have not suffered a data breach. Credential stuffing is a challenge for businesses and can result in many company's customer data being sold on the dark net.

We have reported all the details passed to us about the seller to law enforcement and we continue to help with their investigations

Message 13 of 19

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
the only way to stay 100% safe online is to not be online grin
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 14 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The BBC say : All the O2 account holders whose details the BBC has seen have been informed, with many saying they had used the same login for other online accounts.

O2 say : We have not suffered a data breach. Credential stuffing is a challenge for businesses and can result in many company's customer data being sold on the dark net.

We have reported all the details passed to us about the seller to law enforcement and we continue to help with their investigations

At the risk of sounding harsh, with all the warnings that are already out there about being vigilant, anyone in this day and age who is using the same login for multiple accounts and not using strong passwords, doesn't get much sympathy from me if their account gets hacked. You read about things like this every day, yet people still operate under the delusion that it won't happen to them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 19

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

We have found no evidence that our data has been compromised. Read more on staying protected here: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-and-phishing-advice

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 16 of 19

MI5
  • 144189 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

We have found no evidence that our data has been compromised. Read more on staying protected here: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-and-phishing-advice

No one ever suggested it was O2 at fault (this time) wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 customer data sold on dark net

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36764548

Thought I should start this thread as some O2 customers may be concerned when they read the headline on the BBC news website.

The story goes that O2 customer data is being sold by criminals on the dark net.

The data obtained by usernames and passwords first stolen from gaming website XSplit three years ago to log onto O2 accounts. When the login details matched, the hackers could access O2 customer data in a process known as "credential stuffing". O2 has reported the case to police.

1/. Only need to worry if you were registered with gaming website XSplit three years ago 

2/. Use different passwords for different websites.

You wouldn't have one key that opened your front door, gym locker, shed, started your car and opened your suitcase.... would you?

Message 18 of 19

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
yup
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 19 of 19