Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three UK's owner is reportedly plotting a £9 billion bid for O2

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
"Telefonica-owned O2 has quietly become the subject of interest from Three UK owner Hutchison Whampoa. According to The Sunday Times, the UK mobile market could quite soon shrink from four major operators to just three, after talks between the two companies reportedly progressed to a point where Hutchison Whampoa is ready to make a £9 billion bid for Britain's second-biggest carrier."

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/18/hutchison-whampoa-o2-acquisition/
Message 1 of 101
100 REPLIES 100

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would welcome this providing 3's perks are available to O2 customers.  I was with 3 until a couple of weeks ago and I was very happy with them and only changed back to O2 for 4G and coverage at my Mum's address.

Message 11 of 101

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I use O2, giffgaff and Three because they all offer something slightly different that benefits me (unlimited data, free 08 calls, signal strength etc) so if all the benefits were combined into one sim, it would make my life a bit easier slight_smile

I think the $64,000 question will be will they still offer unlimited data, and usage abroad to many countries for no extra charge, and free 08 calls to 23 million + customers? Could they afford to do that?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 101

nevzy31
Level 4: Observant
  • 98 Posts
  • 27 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
As long as the coverage is better than what O2 is giving us at the moment it can only be a good thing hopefully
Message 13 of 101

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I think the $64,000 question will be will they still offer unlimited data, and usage abroad to many countries for no extra charge, and free 08 calls to 23 million + customers? Could they afford to do that?

With an extra 23+ million customers their revenue stream will go through the roof.......

Therefore, my answer is YES wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 101

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Surely, with O2 now sinking faster than the titanic, a change to 3 would be welcomed. O2 need some major investment to get back to what it once was. I for one would be really happy should this eventually become something more than paper gossip.

Message 15 of 101

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having tried Three out recently, I found their 3G network coverage put O2's to shame. Overall coverage with O2 I find is excellent (I've been with O2 for around 16 years). But I find O2 are let down by poor 3G coverage.

If Three were to take over O2, then with the coverage of O2 and the excellent 3G network of Three, then this sounds like a good thing. But my only concern would be, will Three's "All you can eat" unlimited data options be still available and if so, would they be able to cope with the increase in the users.

Message 16 of 101

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

My concerns are the aftersales support and jobs for UK workers. With the excpetion of maintenance jobs and other field work won't other jobs be lost in the harmonisation and restructuring of the company.

I don't trust 3 enough to join them willingly never mind by force.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 17 of 101

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

If the usage abroad for no extra charge is part of the takeover deal, then from a purely selfish point of view I would welcome this... should it become reality

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 101

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use 3 for mobile internet, the coverage has improved over the last few years and does offer more areas of 3g than O2 which I use for the phone and some mobile internet.

O2s customer service is not what is was when in house and a recent query to 3 was handled in a much better fashion than O2 handled a phone problem my wife had ( in fact O2 failed to resolve )

I would not be unhappy to see O2 taken over by someone who wanted it and maybe restore to the O2 we knew and loved 3 would be a better bet than the other other (V) lot

Message 19 of 101

RueDrBouree
Level 4: Observant
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi

A few months ago 3 compleated their purchase of O2 Ireland, so I guess we need to look at how 3 changed priceing etc in Ireland to get an idea of what might happen in the UK.

Telefonica must be in need of cash, I wonder will O2 Germany be up for sale next.

Just my view, but three aren't nearly as bad as they used to be! 

Alex

Been an O2 customer (off and on) since 1995
Message 20 of 101