Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three UK's owner is reportedly plotting a £9 billion bid for O2

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
"Telefonica-owned O2 has quietly become the subject of interest from Three UK owner Hutchison Whampoa. According to The Sunday Times, the UK mobile market could quite soon shrink from four major operators to just three, after talks between the two companies reportedly progressed to a point where Hutchison Whampoa is ready to make a £9 billion bid for Britain's second-biggest carrier."

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/18/hutchison-whampoa-o2-acquisition/
Message 1 of 101
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Yes, Hutchison are in exclusive talks to potentially acquire Telefonica UK. There's more info here: http://o2lin.kr/1BjwE1v

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 71 of 101
100 REPLIES 100

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Quietly ????
It's been rumoured for the last 2 years !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 101

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As BT chose EE rather than O2 in its takeover... I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone showed an interest in O2..

Mind you it's surprising to me ...as until I read that article I presumed O2 was a much bigger company than 3?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 101

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Mind you it's surprising to me ...as until I read that article I presumed O2 was a much bigger company than 3?

As we discussed last week - Hutchinson Whampoa are massive worldwide.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 101

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Indeed they are.
Message 5 of 101

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm not so sure if a Three takeover of O2 would be a good thing for Three customers. They get a fair few perks at the moment. I'm wondering if those perks would be extended to O2 customers, or if Three would have to cut some of their offers back?

On another note, if BT buy EE, I'm also wondering what would happen to Virgin Mobile, as they piggyback on the EE network. Virgin Media are major BT competitors in other areas, so how might it affect the mobile branch of the business?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 101

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

As we discussed last week - Hutchinson Whampoa are massive worldwide.

So we did....I still forgot to link those with 3 ....(in todays post) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 101

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

And the overall group is very big with extensive interests......eg Superdrug and Felixstowe Port

http://www.hutchison-whampoa.com/en/global/home.php

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 101

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a fairly hot topic on giffgaff's forums recently, as many are worried that Three would see giffgaff as being surplus to their requirements. I've just left Three because of issues with dropped calls, but they would bring in an excellent 3G network if such a takeover were to take place. So it should be good news for O2 customers, or am I missing something?

Message 9 of 101

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I use O2, giffgaff and Three because they all offer something slightly different that benefits me (unlimited data, free 08 calls, signal strength etc) so if all the benefits were combined into one sim, it would make my life a bit easier slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 101