cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of BlackBerry on O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a question possibly for the moderators like Toby and Chiara, but I'd like to bring up O2's lack of BlackBerry models on sale.

With only the Q5 and Q10 available now, and despite the Z10 and Z30 being available to stock (I got my Z10 from O2 last year), are O2 no longer going to sell/stock BlackBerry smartphones? Will there be a lack of support for existing devices in the future?

Why aren't O2 stocking legacy BBOS7 devices such as a cheaper Curve model like the 9720 or the 9320 any longer? Surely there is still a huge customer base using Curve handsets?

I'm not one to suggest an ulterior motive, so as a long term BlackBerry user on O2 it would be interesting to hear the official stance as to why O2 have seriously slimmed down the choice of BlackBerry phones available.

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You've obviously researched the figures but I suspected something along those lines @Anonymous and it's shocking and I find it quite disgraceful that you can't go online and order the Passport from O2. The other networks and independents will probably be laughing themselves silly at the monumental brick dropped by some shortsighted marketing executive(?) being paid big bucks to make these sort of silly (in my opinion) decisions.

Message 81 of 95

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Jonsie, the figures speak for themselves:

Fire sales over 4 months - less than 35,000
Passport sales in first 48 hours - 200,000

Seriously, heads at O2 should roll for deciding to stock the Fire rather than the Passport!

I think that just about proves that whoever pays the most gets their phone listed.

Apple must pay megabucks.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 82 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think we all suspected as much. Traditionally, BlackBerry has never spent much on marketing and you can imagine that they'd be reluctant to pay carriers to stock their device range. I don't understand why Android phones are being sold as business phones either as they are definitely not secure and are not as robustly built as BlackBerry 10 handsets. O2 has not provided a reason for dropping BlackBerry which is even more frustrating and leads one to believe something is going on behind the scenes. I've had my BlackBerry Passport since the 26th September and I've owned several Androids. I have to say, this phone beats them hands down. As for the Fire phone, it's running a forked version of Android, so essentially, it's Android minus Google play services, plus Amazon bloatware. Amazon is a media and content provider so guess what they'll be trying to get you to buy on a constant basis. Some of us just want a device to focus on communication, security, privacy and the ability to edit and manage files on the fly without constantly being badgered or coerced into becoming entangled in an ecosystem designed to separate me from my cash. Just my two pence from a business user who just needs the boring stuff out his phones, not Papa Pear data miner or whatever it's called.
Message 83 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
A very valid viewpoint @Anonymous

I think theirs a fair few who want to see Blackberry Handsets re introduced.

Never say never.
Message 84 of 95

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's simple fact now that to get such a phone for business users they need to be sourced elsewhere and I've said before that it's a strange long term business strategy.

Message 85 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will have the review in a couple of weeks as I'm on holiday at the moment and i want to do it properly.

Also believe it or not I'm still finding new things each day! Politics aside I'm sure O2 have their own reasons not to stock it, but if someone is reading this, just look at the facts: I got mine from carphone warehouse, was out of stock when it was launched due to the pre-orders, had to wait 2 weeks to get it, also trough Blackberry, ironically sold with and O2 contract also out of stock....just saying...plus it is the most amazing phone I've ever had or used! And if you want to find out more ur just going to have to wait for the review!!Evil

Message 86 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking forward to it too @Anonymous

😄
Message 87 of 95

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Really interested in this review coming slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 88 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be honest, I don't know where to start! The phone is just so...perfect and has so many little surprises!

But it will all be revealed...Evil

Message 89 of 95

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Don't forget the pics wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 90 of 95