cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of BlackBerry on O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a question possibly for the moderators like Toby and Chiara, but I'd like to bring up O2's lack of BlackBerry models on sale.

With only the Q5 and Q10 available now, and despite the Z10 and Z30 being available to stock (I got my Z10 from O2 last year), are O2 no longer going to sell/stock BlackBerry smartphones? Will there be a lack of support for existing devices in the future?

Why aren't O2 stocking legacy BBOS7 devices such as a cheaper Curve model like the 9720 or the 9320 any longer? Surely there is still a huge customer base using Curve handsets?

I'm not one to suggest an ulterior motive, so as a long term BlackBerry user on O2 it would be interesting to hear the official stance as to why O2 have seriously slimmed down the choice of BlackBerry phones available.

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

I know, much appreciated that you made the effort to reply too btw. slight_smile

Message 21 of 95

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
You are seriously deluded if you think blackberry is excluded from any network policing.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 22 of 95

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I just wanted back-up my statement that I made earlier.

iOS being crap is just a matter of opinion. Their App Store is more verified stringently. Actually in the same way the Amazon Kindle market has less apps however less rubbish on it. The biggest problem is people naivity; not reading the permissions to get a gist of what an application actually is going to do.

All Android devices, if you are willing to take the performance hit, can be encrypted meaning nothing can be read until the correct key is entered. I'm not sure about iOS however they will probably won't have any options like that available as such features like that are for people are paranoid and not protected by the invurnability shield which is the NS...Apple headquarters.

Blackberry is defintely tuned towards enterprise applications, although with a bit tweaking so can an Android. I can't speak for Apple as I don't have enough know information about their Enterprise server capabilities. I imagine as it's built on a mobile version of Unix, it will have the standard exploits covered.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 23 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

@Anonymous 

I just wanted back-up my statement that I made earlier.

iOS being crap is just a matter of opinion. Their App Store is more verified stringently. Actually in the same way the Amazon Kindle market has less apps however less rubbish on it. The biggest problem is people naivity; not reading the permissions to get a gist of what an application actually is going to do.

All Android devices, if you are willing to take the performance hit, can be encrypted meaning nothing can be read until the correct key is entered. I'm not sure about iOS however they will probably won't have any options like that available as such features like that are for people are paranoid and not protected by the invurnability shield which is the NS...Apple headquarters.

Blackberry is defintely tuned towards enterprise applications, although with a bit tweaking so can an Android. I can't speak for Apple as I don't have enough know information about their Enterprise server capabilities. I imagine as it's built on a mobile version of Unix, it will have the standard exploits covered.

Sorry, just back from Las Vegas and had to jump into this and take over from @Anonymous 

anticpated, I'm not going to suggest that you don't know what you're talking about but some of your comments are rather uninformed.

From a usability standpoint, all operating systems are good depending on what the user is looking for. However, things like iOS requiring iTunes to do any sort of backup or loading of music/pictures onto the device makes these particular phones VERY restrictive. The Apple App Store may have a strong verification process and more apps but its been shown that a very very small number of those millions of apps available are ever downloaded let alone used regularly. Ther reason the Amazon Kindle market has less apps and less rubbish on it is because developers look at the size of the market and only develop for operating systems/hardware that they expect to get the largest return from. It is worth mentioning now that BlackBerry 10 is able to install and run Android apps downloaded directed from the Kindle App market and other Android app stores so the "lack of apps" argument constantly directed at BlackBerry devices is now almost defunct.

As soon as a passcode is implemented in iOS it is encrypted. So basically every iPhone on iOS7 is encrypted. However the problem with iOS encryption is that it stores the keychain for the encryption on the same drive. It has been proven previously that this "could" be cracked. All of this however is null and defunct if someone can gain access to the phone using one of the vulnerabilitys that Apple have had to keep patching for...the most recent being a Siri problem 3 days ago as detailed here: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/05/12/open-the-iphone-door-siri-apples-digital-helper/ .To date there have been no vulnerabilities for current versions of BB10. i won't even touch on Android...

Blackberry has always been aimed at the enterprise market, not enterprise apps. It just so happened they fell behind in the consumer market after being the leaders for a few years. However, and I had this discussion with a Canadian iPhone user while I was in Vegas, I would challenge anyone to do anything on their iPhone 5 or Galaxy S5 that I can't do quicker on my 18 month old BlackBerry Z10.

With regard to the enterprise market, most if not all mobile operating systems can be forced through an MDM (Mobile Device Management) solution, including iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry, to ensure the security of the device, the apps on it and the information it might contain. However, BlackBerry took over as the enterprise leader because of the number of policies that could be applied to handset and the actual granularity and logging of what was happening on them all thanks to BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). From my experience, iOS and Android are unable to offer the same sort of control of devices through the market leading MDM solution as can be provided on BB10 using BES10.

It was announced yesterday though that BlackBerry may soon be allowing more control of their handsets using other MDM solutions. We'll wait to see how that pans out.

To go back to this thread topic...

I am still gobsmacked that on O2, I am unable to upgrade my BlackBerry to the latest phone. To @Chris_K I guess I have to ask the question:

"What was it about the Blackberry Z10 and Z30 that meant they weren't the best devices for your customers (compared to the Q5 and Q10), and ensuring they didn't work for O2?"

Sorry for the length of this whole post haha

Message 24 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 retailers.

A few weeks ago I was asked by the O2 salesperson "If you don't mind me aking, why would you want a Blackberry?".  The shop was then selling (deriding?) the Blackberry Q5 and Q10 phone.  It seems, to the staff, only the iPhone is an intelligent buy.

Message 25 of 95

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Commission and sales targets I guess wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 95

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Seems strange to deride a particular product though. Possibly extoll the benefits of one opposed to another but maybe they need some customer service training. I'm sure Blackberry will be delighted the way their products are being promoted in this particular store.

Message 27 of 95

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

It does seem a poor response from the salesperson. It implies a negativity towards a product.

I find this practice is quite often used when buying all sorts of goods, not just phones.

" Can I ask why you want THIS type of vacuum cleaner as opposed to THAT one?'....

Yes, probably due to sales and commission, but an inference that if you go for the one of your choice you are somehow inferior.

An old saying springs to mind.... 'Keeping up with the Jones'...Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been in an O2 shop in the past and listened to a rep actively push someone wanting an iPhone onto another model. 😞

Margins and targets indeed.
Message 29 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

PapaDug wrote:

"What was it about the Blackberry Z10 and Z30 that meant they weren't the best devices for your customers (compared to the Q5 and Q10), and ensuring they didn't work for O2?"

+1

Message 30 of 95