cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The answer is 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Douglas Adams got it right,  It is not the question which is imporant, but the answer.  And so o2.

Her I am in Greece.  I got my pin wrong tryin gto access my voicemail and had to try to reset it.  The automatd service asked for the answer to my security question.  Like most people, I have several dozen security questions - most of which require different answers as the question is forced by the 'service' provider.  But I didn;t know what the question was so I could not answer.

Now I am locked out and need to speak to customer service to reset my voicemail.  But now I hav eto wait for them to answer and the sun only shines for so long - even in Greece.

Has nayone ever thought that this is not hte best way to get the customer to prove who he is?   Under what cisrcumstances am I not me?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Text: “reset” or “RESET” to 802901.
You will then receive a text back which has a random 5 digit number. Then dial 901 – where you will be asked to enter the random 5 digit number from the text.
You'll then be asked to enter a new PIN. Anything between 4 and 10 digits can be used except for 8705.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Frustrating but it's called security. O2 wont have a clue who you are. You could be someone who has picked up a phone left in a bar in Greece. It's for your own protection....

You could borrow a phone and ring customer services.http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

(numbers if calling from abroad are in that link)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Text: “reset” or “RESET” to 802901.
You will then receive a text back which has a random 5 digit number. Then dial 901 – where you will be asked to enter the random 5 digit number from the text.
You'll then be asked to enter a new PIN. Anything between 4 and 10 digits can be used except for 8705.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling customer service is pretty pointless - it takes far too long to answer and there are better things to do on holiday.  And asking what your answer to an unknown question is not security.  Forgive my directness, but it is stupid.  If the question had been 'what was the name of your first pet' or something then I could have answered, sifting out the context for o2 from the dozens of other security questions that the typical user is required to answer.  Asking 'what is the answer to your security question' is pretty pointless.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - that was helpful, though I had already discovered that the reset number cannot be called from Greece.

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous. You asked for advice and I gave it. I can assure you that phoning C S from abroad is not 'pointless' as you state. I  travel abroad frequently and have had occasion to ring CS twice. I forgot my password and the advisor gave me a hint. If the reset does not work and you need help only CS can advise you further.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6