Did you mean: 

The Blue: The 10 cameras that made camera phones possible

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

The team have created a great article on The Blue (find it HERE) about the invention of the camera and it's early stages to celebrate some of the amazing camera phones we have today, such as the Nokia Lumia 1020.

I've included a snippet below for you to peruse, but what I'd really love to know from all of you is: What is the best camera you've ever had?

The Polaroid will always have a sweet place in my heart slight_smile

Enjoy!

"1. The first photographic image: Camera obscura

The story begins in Ancient Greece, with the principle of the camera obscura. It wasn’t until the 1500s that an actual device was developed, though – and it was more of a projector that was most often used by artists to paint and draw extremely accurate pictures. But in 1827, Joseph Nicephore Niepce used a camera obscura’s pinhole and aperture to create the first photographic image using a metal plate coated in bitumen. But it was hardly an efficient process – it required eight hours of exposure and the image disappeared quickly after it was formed. 

2. The first ‘camera’: Daguerreotype

The first true camera was the Daguerreotype, invented in 1839. It was quickly followed by the Calotype, which allowed negatives to be used to create multiple positive prints. The invention of emulsion plates in the 1850s reduced exposure times from fifteen minutes to just two or three seconds, but images had to be made instantly so photographers had to transport portable darkrooms.

3. The first affordable cameras: The Kodak and the Kodak Brownie

KodakBrownie

1888 saw the release of the Kodak, the first camera to employ a fixed focus lens and single shutter speed. It was reasonably well priced compared to what had gone before, but had to be returned to the factory to be reloaded once the roll had ended. The Kodak Brownie, introduced in 1900 priced at just $1, was an important step in making photography accessible for a mass audience."

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

As there are so many cool pictures, I thought I should add my favourite as mentioned in my OP.

I used to love the noise it made.

Polaroid-camera.jpg

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
We had endless fun with the Polaroid cameras back in the days before the first digital cameras gave us instant photos.
Message 12 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Agree about the Polaroid camera @jonsie . I remember thinking it was 'just like magic' the way the pictures appeared instantly.

Only downside? If you got those pictures out years after they had been taken, they had faded really badly.

Indeed I have some to this day   that are sepia tinted.:smileywink:

Talking of pictures..... I like the new one in your avatar Smiley LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 17

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Talking of pictures..... I like the new one in your avatar Smiley LOL

A new one she just sent me wink

Message 14 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
My favourite is my current camera, a Panasonic TZ30. It's a couple of years old now and has been superseded by the TZ40 and TZ60 but I think the picture quality is much better. I upgraded to a TZ40 last year and ended up selling it on Ebay.
Message 15 of 17

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

One thing I like on the TZ60 over my previous TZ20 is the Electronic Viewfinder. I haven't had it long enough to properly assess picture quality but it does shoot in RAW mode too so compression wouldn't be a problem.

I had a TZ5 previously which went on ebay

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the one thing that could convince me to upgrade. I've had the TZ1, 5, 10, 30 and briefly the 40 - I'm a bit of a Panasonic geek!
Message 17 of 17