Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technology and Lifestyle

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

On the forum tonight, some of us started chatting about this so I have decided to start a thread on it.

It is a subject that fascinates and even bewilders me at times...

I freely admit I am a 'child of the 60's' and our lifestyle was... and still is... a lot different to many of you who post on this forum.

I would love honesty...as anything else wouldn't give me the answer....and its about the use of technology (Smartphones and Tablets) as part of your daily lives and how it has changed since 'my day' Rolleys

Sooooo...how do you do it?

By IT I mean...

* Having a job

* A family

* A social life....

and combining all of these with todays technology....

Its not just posting on this forum...its the bigger picture that folk nowadays can't go out without a phone...ready to post stuff on social media sites, forums and whatever else is available.

I know it will be 'managing your time to suit society today'....but at the risk of sounding like an old fool...in 'my day' (I hate that expression).... people used to talk, laugh, discuss and debate. face to face...

If anyone takes offence at this post....rest assured I am NOT having a dig...I am fascinated by the whole way society is changing.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Nor idle for that long either....

Nope...indeed not! Here, there and everywhere....I suppose I will always struggle to keep up...:smileytongue:

(However I can mend any broken leg....using the latest technology)... LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 51 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
In that case it's good you know you Cleoriff
Message 52 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm eagerly awaiting the views of @Toby @Anonymous and @Marjo 

Yes @jonsie ....that would be an interesting persepective.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 53 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

As this very interesting discussion progresses we should not forget of course that we did not invent "technology" - it has been around as long as mankind.  The wheel, the invention of all sorts of tools (and weapons) to make life (and death) easier, tools to record data etc etc  - these are all examples of "technology" and they had varying effects and consequences.  The big difference between then and now is arguably, that in the past new technology fitted into and around the lives of the people.  Nowadays it seems we have to change our ways to suit the technology and if anyone has ever been in a shop when there has been a power cut will know the chaos that can cause when tills cannot be opened and shop assistants can hardly calculate the amount of change due.

Gerry

(I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.)

Message 54 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous  I have been in such a shop....and its not a good experience during a power cut...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 55 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I will never know how I passed that exam.... having to explain all about drachms, scruples and minims Crazy LOL

Oh, I had to learn 3 different standard systems at school while they changed from Imperial  to metric (cgs) and then SI units. Confused

I'm not going to ask about drachms, scruples & minims (I'm not sure I want to know :smileywink:)

but I would like to ask @aldaweb what are metric(cgs) & SI units

I was educated in Imperial with a bit of metric, but I still think in Imperial & yes, I remember logarithms & I could never get the hang of using a slide rule slight_smile

Message 56 of 61

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous  since you asked ... The first metric systems were based on the Centimetre, Gram, Second hence CGS with other units such as ergs and dynes.

SI units are the ones which were adopted by international convention are based on the metre, kilogram, second which before ratification was just known as MKS system.

See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 57 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

GM @aldaweb thank you for your post

I now know what CGS, MKS, & SI mean

& a great link which I have read, bookmarked, so I can print off in future & file in ring binder

Message 58 of 61

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

A great discussion idea Cleo!

I can empathise with some of @MI5 's earlier thoughts. Technology is a part of many of my life's aspects. A good exercise to do is to remove mobile data from your phone for a week to see how you get on without it.

I involuntarily did so and was shocked by how much I missed it!

One thing I'd like to ask everyone as a part of this is; Do you think technology is advertised more towards younger people? I seems so at times to me, but I would love to hear your thoughts (I hope you think this is linked Cleo, no worries if not ;)). I only ask its clear to see that many young people are so dependent on tech now in their lifestyle.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 59 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Morning @Toby 

I would have replied sooner but technology let me down...(I lost WiFi in this apartment) LOL

I have no problems with you adding further discussion aspects to this thread...it is something that affects us all.....

Personally I DO think technology is geared to young people....having said that I take offence when people try to 'dumb it down' for people my age...

My attitude is...if I can't learn about it as it is, then I will leave that side of it alone. I do try to keep up....but I know my OWN limitations and am never afraid to ask (asking is a skill in itself I think :smileywink:)

He won't mind me saying this but @jonsie  is a prime example of how technological you can be... despite your age... He has helped me on so many occasions when I am frustrated with struggling..:smileywink:

Then I have @MI5 who has helped me through many minefields and has given me a greater understanding of what the heck I am doing... (as well as what phone to buy...what Tablet will suit me...etc etc etcSmiley Very Happy

Much younger, but not to be dismissed is my 15 year old grandson...a bit of a technological whiz kid..

who loves to show me new things....One thing he has YET to master though...is the art of teaching.... slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 60 of 61