Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technology and Lifestyle

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

On the forum tonight, some of us started chatting about this so I have decided to start a thread on it.

It is a subject that fascinates and even bewilders me at times...

I freely admit I am a 'child of the 60's' and our lifestyle was... and still is... a lot different to many of you who post on this forum.

I would love honesty...as anything else wouldn't give me the answer....and its about the use of technology (Smartphones and Tablets) as part of your daily lives and how it has changed since 'my day' Rolleys

Sooooo...how do you do it?

By IT I mean...

* Having a job

* A family

* A social life....

and combining all of these with todays technology....

Its not just posting on this forum...its the bigger picture that folk nowadays can't go out without a phone...ready to post stuff on social media sites, forums and whatever else is available.

I know it will be 'managing your time to suit society today'....but at the risk of sounding like an old fool...in 'my day' (I hate that expression).... people used to talk, laugh, discuss and debate. face to face...

If anyone takes offence at this post....rest assured I am NOT having a dig...I am fascinated by the whole way society is changing.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Sadly it is.... Along with Apprenticeships going out of fashion there is much knowledge and skill that won't be passed on and will die with our generation.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 61

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's the ready made instant world we live in now. I find it a little sad even though technology has enrichened everyone's lives.

Message 42 of 61

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

even though technology has enrichened everyone's lives.

I'd agree it's made life easier but is it really "enrichened" by it, I wonder....... Thoughful

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 43 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Oh those were the days. Listening to you lot talking about sines and cosines and tangents reminded me of one of my Final exams in nursing. A written paper and a practical exam....

Poor me stood in front of the biggest battelaxe of a senior tutor and having to explain the medical apothecaries system...with no reference to anything!

I will never know how I passed that exam.... having to explain all about drachms, scruples and minims Crazy LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 61

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Debatable I guess which is what this thread is all about. I think people are much more aware now of what's going on in the world rather than in their own little back yard.

Message 45 of 61

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I will never know how I passed that exam.... having to explain all about drachms, scruples and minims Crazy LOL

Oh, I had to learn 3 different standard systems at school while they changed from Imperial  to metric (cgs) and then SI units. Confused

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 46 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@aldaweb wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Oh, I had to learn 3 different standard systems at school while they changed from Imperial  to metric (cgs) and then SI units. Confused

All that happened to me (the changeover) during my time AFTER passing finals.

With hindsight  and back to the technology and lifestyle issue...I could have done that exam far easier had I had access to Google ...Wikipedia etc...

That begs the question I suppose...I could have given the answer...but would I have understood it?

And so the debate goes on.... wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 47 of 61

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Talking about technology...it ain't all it's cracked up to be on occasion...

Just browsing to see who is online and I noticed this...

Now if that isn't a major mess up with technology...I dunno what is...I am sure @MI5  has not been online for that length of time...even though, in his words  'His life IS technology' LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 61

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Nor idle for that long either....

Currently using:
Message 50 of 61