cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablet's

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi guys just read this article and with Christmas fast approching and tablets being at the top of most  wish list this might be interesting if any of you are thinkinbg of buying a tablet 

http://www.mobilechoiceuk.com/News/30573/best-tablets-for-over-65s.aspx#.VACa_8VdWuI

Message 1 of 80
79 REPLIES 79

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not taking anything away from the examples in your link ,the next one I'll be purchasing is the iPad Air II ,if it ticks my wants and needs boxes to replace my current iPad Air.

slight_smile
Message 2 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused...what makes those tablets any more suitable for someone over the age of 65 than it would be for a 16 year old?

Either way, the best tablet for over-65s, in my opinion, is the iPad, especially if they are technophobic. 

Message 3 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have my eyes on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Personally i think top end tablets are much of a muchness these days. They all do good stuff. Just depends what the user wants specifically.
Message 4 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some are awesome as stocking fillers for the younger end just starting off or as one for say a work environment so if something happened to it , it would not be a huge loss / cost.
Message 5 of 80

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I don't get why there has to be a distinction for those over 65. A tablet is best for any user if it suits their requirements regardless of age, sex or creed. 

It's closer than you think for several on here for example.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 80

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Yes that escapes me too. Will I be any less able to use a tablet in just over 12 months than I am at present. I hope that with advancing years comes advancing knowledge and advancing requirements of a tablet especially with the advancement in technology.

Message 7 of 80

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think, and it really kills me to say this, iPad Mini and more recent models have more staying power and functionality. The reason I say this is because there is more commericial software which integrates with full-blown packages on the desktop computers.

GPL licensing may be cheaper however it does not lend it self to portabilty very well. Even installing the drivers on a Debian-based Linux installation can be a pain. Although you do get Photoshop Touch which is a portable version of the full application.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 8 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm confused...what makes those tablets any more suitable for someone over the age of 65 than it would be for a 16 year old?

Either way, the best tablet for over-65s, in my opinion, is the iPad, especially if they are technophobic. 

thank you PapaDug ..... I have bookmarked your post for future info/use Fantastic Thanks!

Message 9 of 80

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

I don't get why there has to be a distinction for those over 65. A tablet is best for any user if it suits their requirements regardless of age, sex or creed. 

It's closer than you think for several on here for example.

hello aldaweb, I'm very very technophobic, but since joining here mid Jan , just by chance, my confidence in all of you people, well it has helped my very untechie-ness soften a bit

when we can agree a time I am ready to pick up the Kindle & you said you'd help me out & that it was an open offer of help ..... pm me if things have changed ..... sorry to have gone off subject ..... it was the mention of age that I was trying to explain ..... & ..... that us oldies are somewhat scared, whereas the young kids aren't so-to-speak slight_smile

Message 10 of 80