cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOPIKOO £4.50 p/wk subscription scam on Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just been scammed on FACEBOOK...! I responded to an advert that popup on my newsfeeds from TOPIKOO asking me 3 preference questions about smartphones: question 1: iOS or android I answered android; question 2: slim phone o big phone, I answered big phone; question 3: surfing or chatting, I answered both. The next I knew I got this message "FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to Topikoo for £4.50 per week from Tekka until you text STOP to 62442. HELP? 03332021398"
My concern is I never gave this company my telephone number my mobile number is not visible on my facebook profile and I never agreed or received any terms and conditions from TOPIKOO. There has been a breach and violation of my privacy on your website. Because my telephone number is not visible. Obviously this is not a kosher company because www.topikoo.com or .co.uk does not exist. I typed TOPIKOO into search engines and there were several complaints from other Facebook users that have been scammed by this same fraudulent company TOPIKOO is advertising on Facebook site.I have just been scammed on FACEBOOK...! I responded to an advert that popup on my newsfeeds from TOPIKOO asking me 3 preference questions about smartphones: question 1: iOS or android I answered android; question 2: slim phone o big phone, I answered big phone; question 3: surfing or chatting, I answered both. The next I knew I got this message "FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to Topikoo for £4.50 per week from Tekka until you text STOP to 62442. HELP? 03332021398"
My concern is I never gave this company my telephone number and I never agreed or received any terms and conditions from TOPIKOO FACEBOOK how did this company get my telephone number on your website. There has been a breach and violation of my privacy on your website. Because my telephone number is not visible. Obviously this is not a kosher company because www.topikoo.com or .co.uk does not exist. I typed TOPIKOO into search engines and there are several complaints from other Facebook users that have been scammed by this same fraudulent company TOPIKOO advertising on Facebook site. I expect something must be done about this scam quickly....!This incident has ruined my experience on Facebook....!. A very disappointed dissatisfied Facebook user.....
I expect something must be done about this scam quickly....!I have even sent a text msg STOP to 62442 but its not been delivered. Please I need your advice I am very perplexed and frustrated.Thanks Caroline
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

there's always another company like this. What changes is how they get you to subscribe without noticing.

Message 21 of 53

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Wasn't there another company like this back along & you had to phone the company themselves?

@Anonymous has already given them the number to call and any UK company will do this.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 22 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know she has, I was just asking about a similar type of thread I saw on here ages ago,

these companies seem to be very clever with there small print @Anonymous
Message 23 of 53

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

My concern is I never gave this company my telephone number and I never agreed or received any terms and conditions from TOPIKOO FACEBOOK how did this company get my telephone number on your website. There has been a breach and violation of my privacy on your website. 

They don't need to know your number, these messages are sent at random until someone responds by clicking on their links. 

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 24 of 53

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
@Anonymous I won a phone via social media so it's not unheard of (huggles to the O2 media team!)

@Anonymous, follow @Anonymous's advice and you should be fine.
#siwy
Message 25 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Until the regulators step in it is ridiculously easy for these companies to scam people. It's being going on for years and facefarce is the biggest source for these con artists. 

Message 26 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update: hi I hope you all had a lovely weekend...I rang Fonix this morning explaining my ordeal.The lady asked me for my mobile number so that she could remove it from their database. I then asked for a confimation in writing staying i will no longer be charged £4.50 weekly..."she said she couldnt do that because she does not have my number anymore "i stated you got it stored on your database.She just kept on insisting to call topikoo customer services number 03332021398 . i then asked her what is their company relationship with TOPIKOO she stated they are a technology company that TOPIKOO uses their platform for SMS messaging. I am about to phone TOPIKOO customers services for a refund of£4.50 and a confirmation that my mobile number has been removed off their charging list.
Message 27 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
rang TOPIKOO customers services number 03332021398 it rang 3 times and cut off with a modem/fax tone. So I rang Fonix back, the fonix lady tried the number while I held on,to my amazement someone answered her number and not mine.The fonix lady advised me to ring TOPIKOO back which I did. A lady with an indian accent answered my call I then explained my ordeal on Facebook 9/5/15 answering Topikoo 3 smartphoned perference questions and how i was illegally charged for a subscription of £4.50.I then asked her why is it that when a victim like myself had fallen victim to their scam can not send STOP to their short code 62442 because it doesn't respond. She then answered "their short code 62442 has not been setup to respond to cancellations immediately...! "I then asked her to cancel my subscription immediately. I gave her my mobile number and here is the SMS mssg I received from TOPIKOO: Payforit.FreeMsg: You have been unsubscribed from Topikoo. I then asked TOPIKOO for a refund.They asked me for my name and email address stating that they will send me a email instructing how I can receive my refund on Friday 15 May 2015. I then told them how I felt that this is not the last time TOPIKOO will hearing from me.The lady answered that they are a registered company. I answered that it is very easy for anyone to register their company on Company House database without been vetted for fradulant history/intentions. I will post TOPIKOO refund instructions email on this post when I receive it. Thank you and have a lovely week Cassma
Message 28 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Anonymous what an ordeal and I hope it's the last you hear from this bunch of thieves.

Message 29 of 53

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

A bit of a run around but good to see they are doing the right thing. 

Message 30 of 53