cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solved poor reception with dual sim phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I had mentioned previously that i intend to buy a dual sim phone to overcome poor o2 reception indoors, and i was requested to give feedback on how I found it.

Ok, so I got the dual sim phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 dual sim) a few months ago, and I set up call redirect when out of coverage. It didn't work most of the time, as it would either go to voicemail instead, or give a message that the number dialled is not recognised!

I've recently thought about it properly, and realised that voicemail is also a call redirect, so I had to turn it off (and also turn off the O2 free call alert first). Additionally, the number dialled not recognised issue was because i put the redirect number as 07xxxxxxxxx, when I should put it as 00447xxxxxxxxx. I've done these two changes now, and I believe I have successfully solved the problem I was facing, because a few times now, I'm receiving calls on my other number when no one else has it i.e. they called my o2 number and it redirected it to my other number.

So, if you are someone who was facing poor indoor reception, the above may help!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you @Anonymous for your insight and feedback experience on dual sim.

How are you finding the Samsung Galaxy s5 in itself may I ask ?

Message 2 of 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for your feedback @Anonymous 

I have wondered myself about the practicalities of using a dual sim as I travel abroad a lot

One of our members @MI5  has a dual sim Samsung ...I am sure he will be interested in reading your post wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
So @Anonymous does this mean your handset has both sims turned on at the same time?
Message 4 of 25

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, good info and setup exactly as it should be.
Also, yes Nick, in proper dual sim phones both are on standby at the same time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I right in assuming Rich that my Note 3 wouldn't do this?
Message 6 of 25

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Not if you used an adapter to get dual sim functionality. You would have to buy Samsung's dual sim version of the Note 3
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Rich. Might as well wait till I change phones then really.
Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes the phone allows both sims to be on at the same time. My one has a function of automatic redirect between both sims so if either is not in reception, then it will redirect to the other. I always switch data useage towards the end of my contract month as I run out of of O2 data allowance so I use the other sim's data usage whilst using the o2 sim for standard calls and texts.

With regards to how I'm finding the S5, to be honest, it's the best phone I've had (I've upgraded from the s2). I don't like Iphone's and blackberry's, and prefer TouchWiz so Samsung does it. The S5 has eveything I need in, with a few extras that have been very useful e.g. pedometer and IR blaster. The dual sim version had an issue of both sims losing reception for a few seconds, and then working properly again. I think this has been fixed (or reduced, as I don't notice it anymore) in the recent update.

The best feature I like about it is that battery usage is great, even for dual sim. I only need to charge it once a day even with heavy usage, which is not common in my previous experience.

Hope that helps

Message 9 of 25

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You will need to buy online though mate as they don't sell them in the UK (dunno why as they would be very popular). The Chinese websites are the best for getting them.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 25